Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Vaporizing Salvia divinorum

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Salvinorin A is said to have a melting temperature of 238°C to 240°C, with salvinorin C requiring only 196°C - 198°C to evaporate. Someone (Lux from Erowid) asked me whether it was possible to vaporize Salvia with a Volcano and I was quite curious myself.

It took me a while to do the experiment, but last night I finally did it. I placed a small amount of 20X in the Volcano Easy Valve filling chamber, and turned the temperature to the maximum (231°C / 448°F). I filled up one balloon and inhaled very slowly, keeping each inhalation in for at least 30 seconds. I immediately recognized the effects, but they didn't engulf me. I could report to my girlfriend what I was experiencing. Within 5 minutes I took a second balloon, keeping in the vapor even longer, and then for a while I was pulled into the Salvia space, and going with it, although I could still recollect my mind if I wanted to.

Tonight I will repeat the experiment with a larger amount of Salvia. From what I experienced last night I'm quite certain one can vaporize salvia to such an extent that one balloon will give a strong trip. Not sure if it could be considered a salvinorin A trip though: it may be mainly salvinorin C...

The benefit of inhaling psychedelics with a balloon is that you can already turn off the lights and sit/lie down and relax before you take the dose. This is especially useful if you want to trip alone. It works quite well for DMT, though some of the crystals will settle on the inside of the balloon.

PS: As some of you may know, I never really liked the effects of Salvia. Last night however I enjoyed the feeling, and most surprising of all I had a short flash of ecstasy. Ecstasy defined as having goosebumps and one's hair standing on end, an extremely pleasurable feeling. I usually experience such ecstasy while contemplating certain philosophical issues or listening to uplifting music while walking outside (stoned or not), or reading an encouraging news item. I had not expected this to occur while on Salvia. If it happens again tonight, it may be salvinorin C related... :)

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Interesting!

Can we perhaps crank up a vaporizer so the temp goes to a comfy 250 degrees C? In that way we can compare Salv. C experiences with Salv. A experiences.

Keep us posted, CM.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
Short off topic:

I want to buy a vaporizer. Should I also go for one with a balloon? The volcano is quite expensive though I´d like to go for one with bout 100 Euro...

Reason for off-topic:

I am also very interested about your experiment! With a vaporizer you can control the temperature and therefore bringing the experience to perfection (I think so). Please post further investigations!

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
If you can afford it, buy the Volcano. If mine got broken, I'd buy another one instantly. I've tested 5 or 10 different vaporizers, and never regretted buying my Volcano. There are some other vaporizers with balloons, but none fill them up so quickly as the Volcano. Refilling the herb chamber is always a hassle, but not with the Volcano. Sounds like an advertisement, but I'm genuinely in love with the machine.

Here's a good vaporizer comparison table:

http://www.vaporizer-info.com/compare_vaporizers/

With a bunch of reviews here (my Volcano review is there as well):

http://www.vaporizer-info.com/vaporizer_reviews/

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
Thank you very much for the table!

I just fear that if I buy a cheaper one, that I will regret it because of the quality etc. ... But I think that I´ll just buy one an see if vaporizing is something for me.

I was thinking about that one.

http://www.*******.net/headshop/vaporiz ... vapureyes/

looks cute but I don´t know if I can regulate the temperature (important!)

But fist of all I´l lread through your table...

EDIT

Herbal Aire is cool, quite expensive for me but I´d actually be ready to pay for quality.

Noble Vapor looks statistically ok but the price worries me. Why is it so cheap???

Vapir Digital is cool, too.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
The Vapir Digital Air One is OK, but the Vapir Oxygen sucks.

The Noble Vapor models are all OK, but the Pyramid is difficult to refill. The Noble Vapor VP110 has a reasonable price and does its job well. If you want to achieve high temperatures go for the VP600.

HerbalAire is a good device, but it fills up SMALL balloons VERY slowly. The filling chamber is very small too, and I burnt my finger taking it out.

The Vapureyes has a UK plug. If you want to use it outside the UK you must also buy the world adapter.

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
I have an off-topic question. CM when you vaporize Marijuana, or any other substances, does the vapor smell like the substance vaporized?

On-topic; I have heard many warningS about vaporizing Salvia, and that one should be very careful because the effects can be quite powerful. Please be careful CM!
Vaporization can be deceiving. Because very little smoke is produced, it is possible to inhale a very large dose without realizing it. Anyone trying vaporization absolutely MUST have a sitter present. Many commercial vaporizers made for Cannabis will not work for Salvia. Special Salvia vaporizers can be built easily, but vaporization is not for those new to Salvia.

http://www.sagewisdom.org/usersguide.html

PEACE & LOVE

SpiralArchitect

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
25 Juil 2008
I own a Vapor Warez 3 G Vapor Cannon, perhaps next time I can try some salvia I will vaporize it and report back here. I've never been a fan of smoking it -- taste like cat piss.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
"If in doubt double the dose"

Does anyone know who brought the world the digital heat control vaporiser ?

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
^Do I smell a Psychonut-Church Nobel Prize award?

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Shit !!! Caught again....nearly . Does that mean he earned one ? And do you know who it was ?

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
I'd suggest then to let the holy psychonut-church give out such an award for CM!!

peace :weedman:

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
CM when you vaporize Marijuana, or any other substances, does the vapor smell like the substance vaporized?
When you exhale, there is a smell that is neither like a blossoming plant nor like what you smell when you walk past a coffeeshop in Amsterdam. You can smell it for about 5 to 10 seconds, then a person walking in wouldn't smell anything. I'm even taking the balloons into my shop and I often take tokes between customers. No one ever notices.

On-topic; I have heard many warningS about vaporizing Salvia, and that one should be very careful because the effects can be quite powerful. Please be careful CM!
One toke at a time. 8)

magickpencil

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
15 Mai 2008
SpiralArchitect a dit:
I've never been a fan of smoking [salvia] -- taste like cat piss.

that's odd, my girlfriend and i are quite fond of the smell and taste of smoked salvia
i prefer it to mj

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
@ CM sorry,the homepage didn´t send me any mail so I didn´t read your answer by now! Thanks for the review about the vaporizers!!

@magickpensil I share your opinion, I also like the smell. Seems to be case sensitive, it´s like with Pastis, I know only people who hate it or who love it :D

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
May interest you, CM

Vaporization of pure Salvinorin A is also possible, but it is not recommended! Unless the dose has been measured very precisely, this is extremely dangerous, as it's very easy to vaporize too large a dose. To be done safely, vaporization of salvinorin A requires weighing the dose on a very precise chemical balance capable of weighing in micrograms (millionths of a gram). These analytical balances cost well over $1000. There are now available standardized doses of Salvinorin A on leaves, using such preparations enables one to inhale a known precisely-measured dose of salvinorin A. This makes it possible to experiment with salvinorin A without having to buy an analytical balance, and it greatly reduces the risk of overdose.

jj

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Jan 2008
I've seen internet posts by people who extract salvinorin and vaporize it by "chasing the dragon," using a piece of aluminum foil and a glass tube.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Chemspider lists Boiling Point as 563.8 °C , which sounds way too high.

http://www.chemspider.com/InChIKey=OBSY ... AGQYDFLVBL

Merk says the boiling temp for salvinorin A is 238-240 C (Ortega) and 242-244 C (Valdes). That seems to match anecdotal reports we've gotten that the Volcano on its highest setting is right at the edge of effectively producing a psychoactive vapor.

In a 1994 paper "Salvia divinorum and salvinorin A: New pharmacologic findings", Daniel Siebert describes administering salvinorin A by vaporization with a butane torch on foil, inhaled through a glass tube. The results are also described by Ott in "Ethnopharmacognosy and Human Pharmacology of Salvia divinorum and Salvinorin A". Siebert found this method effective in what we would now expect to be a common dose range: 200-500 µg.

We've been told that the vaporization temp of salvinorin A is very close to the combustion temp of the plant cellulose, making it tricky to manage. We were also told that salvinorin A sublimates (passes directly from solid to gas), so the "boiling temp" is equivalent to a vaporization temp.

Alan Cohn says "commercially available pot vaporizers won't work for Salvia and in fact, at these higher temperatures parts and coatings begin to degrade and fume. The temperature for vaporization is close to the temp of combustion (mid to upper 400's F), but successful vaporization producing a light whispy vapor that is remarkably effective can be accomplished using a Sears Pro, Makita or Steinel servo controlled variable temp heat gun and either personally fashioned or off the shelf glassware" .

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Daniel Siebert from "The Salvia Divinorum reaserch and information center" says :-

"Based on my own experiments using an adjustable thermocouple-controlled heat gun, I found that the ideal airstream temperature for vaporizing salvinorin A from dried leaves is approximately 277°C."