Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

The Power of Now

Ganesha

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Mar 2009
As probably most of you are aware of Eckhart Tolle's existance and some may have actaully read some of his works, I was wondering what others here are thinking about him & his books.

I like the simplicity of his approach, that one just needs to learn to be present to achieve a state of blissful awareness, but I have some doubts of whether this guy's for real. When I read passages of his work, it feels genuine, but there are a lot of people around me that denounce anything that even has a remote link to spirituality.

So what do you think?

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
hey!!

i have read the power of now and i really like the book!..
i don't know whether the guy is for real or so, but i think his message is real and it's a good one, though sometimes while reading it becomes a bit annoying, yet probably that's just because of the mind you posses or that possesses you doesn't want to be dissolved in the light of consciousness or somethin like that!!!...

peace :weedman:

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Juil 2007

Ganesha

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Mar 2009
BrainEater a dit:
i don't know whether the guy is for real or so, but i think his message is real and it's a good one, though sometimes while reading it becomes a bit annoying, yet probably that's just because of the mind you posses or that possesses you doesn't want to be dissolved in the light of consciousness or somethin like that!!!...

That could both be a good thing of the book and a bad thing. It could be good, because it shows you that your mind is playing tricks on you, but it could also be bad, because the book is playing tricks on your mind. What I mean is that every possibility to object to the message is negated as 'the mind makes you do this and you can escape that by presence'. You cannot disagree, without him still being able to say he's right and dismiss your argument on the ground that it is an illusion you shouldn't believe in.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Beware of philosophies that talk a lot about 'the mind' or 'the ego'. Such concepts are often employed to discourage rational thought and critical thinking.

Ganesha

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Mar 2009
We psychonauts are talking about it a lot as well, and the underlying philosophy one encounters at this website surely has a lot of similarities with those philosophies.

I think these concept are useful, but I get what you mean: they tend to define us too much, make our inner realms inescapable and turns us into robots if we don't pay attention.

By teh same token, I think Tolle makes some nice points about giving attention to what is going on and he isn't talking about the mind all the time, although he uses it as a point of reference to talk with people in which attention is lacking.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Ganesha a dit:
We psychonauts are talking about it a lot as well, and the underlying philosophy one encounters at this website surely has a lot of similarities with those philosophies.
I think as psychonauts we accept the fact that while sober there is an ego structure that we shouldn't try to suppress. We dissolve the boundaries of the ego during our peak experiences, or undergo all out ego death, but we don't try to transcend the ego on a daily basis (except through the use of cannabis perhaps). We take a more humble approach: we realize that by ourselves we cannot do anything about the ego or mind. It's by subjecting the nervous system to certain plants or chemicals that we temporarily shut down the monkey mind to observe life from a liberated perspective.

Ganesha

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Mar 2009
I think that psychedelics can teach you a lot and that you can reap the benefits from it in day to day life. But I aslo know for a fact that other methods can be applied to 'free your mind'. Discussing philosophy with people, falling in love, meditation, yoga and martial arts, psychological therapy, holotropic breathwork, sensual deprivation, etc. etc.

I think as psychonauts we accept the fact that while sober there is an ego structure that we shouldn't try to suppress.

We shouldn't suppress it, but we should become aware of its stupidity. I think we drop it like a hot coal as soon as we notice it is something that doesn't help us in most situations.

maxfreakout

Inscrit
22 Fev 2007
his philosophy is great, it is enlightened philosophy

BUT the problem with Tolle imo is how he doesnt connect up his own life-changing satori experience, to his philosophy, this makes his philosophy pretty much useless

that, and also the fact that he talks moronically simplistic shit about drugs

AllenB

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
31 Mar 2009
It is very interesting. I have read the power of now. I think the message that has been provided is totally genuine and brings peace to your mind. Everyone should have the knowledge of spirituality.