Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

The Funk Capital of the World

KrispedKritter

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
10 Déc 2011
This is an interview from MOJO magazine with Funk legend Bootsy Collins; I'll just type the whole thing into here, because he's awesome.

"The EX-JB and Mothership bass pilot plays it as it lays on the funk, freedumb and groovements. By Dave Oliver

He helped lay the funk foundations for James Brown in the late '60s and engineered the groove for George Clinton's P-Funk hydra in the '70s. Five years since his last record, Bootsy Collins' new album, The Funk Capital of the World, is a tribute to his musical heroes, including the aforesaid Godfather, Clinton, imi Hendrix and his late brother, former JBs guitarist Catfish Collins. The guestlist is impressive, for taking part are made men of rap Chick D, Ice Cube and Snoop Dogg, plus soul survivor Bobby Womack, bluegrass virtuoso béla Fleck, non-musicians such as the Rev Al Sharpton and Samuel L Jackson, plus the voice of one James Marshall Hendrix, all of it underlaid by Bootsy's patented platform stomp and undulation. It echoes pretty much everything he's done over the last 40 years of funk. " The stuff that's going on today, it's all right," he exhales in his inimitable melodious way. "But here's the real deal."

Bootsy--where is the funk capital of the world?

Well, it's inside. So it's wherever you go. It could be anywhere, but it's that place that learns how to do without, that learns how to make do with what you got. Now you don't have to go there, but if you're inclined to visit the Wizard of Oz, you have to follow that yellow brick road. It's like you got it if you want it, but you gotta go get it.

What is the important oce the funk signifier 'the one'?

'The one' is the essence of all there is, and it's definitely not a lonely number. We're a people that love to be loved, but we got freedumb right now. And freedumb is a spot where you got all these smart phones, but we're making dumb decisions, and making excuses about it. And we've got to get back to 'the one', becase it's really all about people having fun.

Is a global recession the best time for this message?

It's a way of looking at it. Being black, we've always been in a recession, so it's really nothing new. WE're not going to change the world, but if for about 10 minutes of your day, you can stop thinking about your bills, and have fun with the music, that gives you some hope. We're trying to spread hope like dope. It's about a groovement, about people having a good time again, even in bad times.

It's been five years since your last record, what's Bootsy been doing?

It's kinda difficult to get the normal commercial people into something that's kinda outside. The paper god iss deep, man, he's like that golden calf, we idolise the guy, but he's nothing but paper. We don't do music for music, art for art no more. Creative people have gotten away from being creative, but I wanna do my part to redirect people to what it's really all about.

So many guest stars. Did you call them yourself?

They're friends of mine, so yeah, I do all of that. I picked Rev Sharptone for the James Brown trip (JB--Still The Man) because he was so close to James. He's got the voice, he's got the passion, he's got the love, so who better? With Samuel L Jackson, we d id a commercial together, so I just asked him, and with Béla Fleck, I did a bluegrass project with him and I saw him play with an African band. The audience wasn't ready for it, but I got it. These cats are amazing at what they do, and I wanted to bring in some people who don't just do what I do, bring in some new nergy, some new experimental stuff.

Where did the Jimi Hendrix spoken word sample come from?

Well I wanted to do a tribute to Jimi, not by sampling his music, but I wanted his voice. I'm good friends with his sister, Janie Hendrix, and I did the box sex (West Coast Seattle Boy) where I was the voice of Jimi, reading his words. So I asked her if we could use his voice. This record is all about letting people know where it all came from.

You're turning 60 this year, how does that feel?

It's funny. 'Cos yesterday I was just 16. And it's strange because making this record feels like the first time I'm really here, really present. I was on drugs so long I jusdt lived in a different world. I'm totally clean now, about 15 years, but it takes a while for that stuff to get out of your system, and I guess it's only in the last five years that I've been really clean.

Tell us something you've never told an inteviewer before.

Well, I do expect the aliens to make themselves fully known to people in the next few years. And I'm in touch with them. I'm serious, but it's gonna be a really good thing. When it happens, people will look back and say, "But Bootsy said this would happen, way back in 2011," and I'm gonna look like a genius. But I'm really not, it's just what's happening. "

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
hmm i dunno lol.. i like people who promote positive thinking in a positive way. but then again sometimes there seems to be a weird touch or so to it, too. i mean it's probably good that they do what they do, however i must say that sometimes it seems to me that it's like a circus in a bad way. it's as if there is some subliminal deception to it. but yeah that's only my subjective impression. i dunno... i think i don't like most famous people very much, because of the subliminal ambivalence or so...

peace

KrispedKritter

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
10 Déc 2011
What, you mean like his HUGE gold links and flamboyant ways? Or U2:s Bono, with his ... Irunno, under-the-skin-paradoxical-f*cking-smirk. I'd happen to agree with you there, but then, I'm a hypocrite too, just like they are.

At least I don't have people trying to live like I do. .... or something. :/