Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

"The End?"

random

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
14 Déc 2007
Why so many of us think our minds continue on after we die

By Jesse Bering

The only real mystery is why we're so convinced that when it comes to where we're going "when the whole thing's done", we're dealing with a mystery at all. After all, the brain is like any other organ: a part of our physical body. And the mind is what the brain does - it's more a verb than it's a noun. Why do we wonder where our mind goes when the body is dead? Shouldn't it be obvious that the mind is dead, too?

According to proponents, you possess a secret arsenal of psychological defenses designed to keep your death anxiety at bay.

Consider the rather startling fact that you will never know you have died. You may feel yourself sleeping away, but it isn't as though there will be a "you" around who is capable of ascertaining that, once all is said and done, it has actually happened. Just to remind you, you need a working cerebral cortex to harbor propositional knowledge of any sort, including the fact that you've died - and once you've died your brain is about as phenomenally generative as a head of lettuce. In a 2007 article published in the journal Synthese, University of Arizona philosopher Shaun Nichols puts it this way: "When I try to imagine my own non-existence I have to imagine that I perceive or know about my non-existence. No wonder there's an obstacle!"
This observation may not sound like a major revelation to you, but I bet you've never considered what it actually means, wich is that your own mortality is unfasifiable from the firstperson perspective. This obstacle is why writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe allegedly remarked that "everyone carries the proof of his own immortality witihn himself".

On the one hand, from a very early age, children realize that dead bodies are not coming back to life. On the other hand, also from a very early age, kids endow the dead with ongoing psychological functions. So where do culture and religious teaching come into the mix, if at all?
In fact, exposure to the concept of an afterlife plays a crucial role in enriching and elaborating this natural cognitive stance; it's sort of like an architectural scaffolding process, whereby culture develops and decorates the innate psychological building blocks of religious belief. The end product can be as ornate or austere as you like, from the headache-inducing reincarnation beliefs of Theravada Buddhists to the man on the street's "I believe there's something" brand of philosophy - but it's made of the same brinc and mortar just the same.

- Scientific American Mind - Volume 19 nº5

restin

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
The convulsive urge to prove the absence of afterlife is as comical as the convulsive urge to prove the existence of afterlife...

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006

My education and intelligence tells me that there is no proof that there is anything after death . But "white light" near death experiences and meditation have shown me things that were the strongest and clearest , and for me the most valid and believable , expeiences i have ever had . I am now looking forwards to my death .

random

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
14 Déc 2007
Personally I don't believe an Ego After life. It's dumb, to me, to believe that or even have faith in it.

But that's exactly what, I think, most people who believe in afterlife do feel when they think about an afterlife. They imagine themselfs swimming in the land of the death or throughout the universe. Or some garden, whatever.

I think Jesse put's it pretty clear, and I never thought like that. "The mind is something the brain does". Yes! I wonder if there's people that do the mind with the large intestine :twisted:

What I'm trying to say is, what would be the mind without the body? What would be the brain without the heart or lungs or anyother organ?

I think we are bound to experience this thing we call life till the day we die.
And we will still be part of the complex cloud of energy and sensations that we call biosphere.

Personally I have some simpathy with the idea of reincarnation. Not the ego masturbation way of seeing it.
Imagine this. Imagine the planet earth is a human being. There is many life going on there. Well, now look at your body, and imagine how much life is going on there. Kind of like, we are the same at the same time, everywhere. But we can only read one page at a time. This may sound a little mussy, but I'll try to explain if anyone is interested.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Doesnt physics say that energy cant be created or destroyed and that it can only be transformed / changed ?

And what about , i think its called , quantum mechanics that says every thing is posible ?

I think that as science cant fully explain life but still acepts it it would be foolish to totaly deny the chances of there being some sort of "survival" after "death" .

Also think about solipsism , wich in the end is true = the only realy proveable fact is ....."ME"and everything else is projection . As everything else other than "me" is projection why not start thinking about the posibility that what we call outside is realy ......inside ? That what we call outside = life and the universe is a mental projection in what we call inside our heads and that the real world / reality is inside ( = outside ) ? I think anyone who has had a load of trips will probably have had ideas like that and will understand me .

( Shit...... i bet Max will pop out of his orifice and start telling us theres no such thing as proof and no facts and.......wich would also defeat any arguments he has and make him comentating about that a waste of time...... ) . ( high Max ) .

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
Is there a life before death?

random

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
14 Déc 2007
I guess life is kind of like a mirror. What we see is ourselfs! How could it be anyother way?

I mean, if it weren't how would we even be alive? How does the heart beat? We don't have a clue, it just beats... bum...bum...bum...bum...
How does the brain "minds"? We don't know, but we know it's there! Inside the skull somewhere!

GOD, I understand what you are saying. It's a good way of thinking and feeling towards life. It brings compassion and altruism. Not easy to grasp though.

Restin, I think there is Life before death. And not a life.

If you are talking about yourself, you began at your fathers/mother/father/mother .................... hmmm till the beggining of everything (was there even a beggining?)

That's exactly what I'm trying to recall. Where can we say that "I" started? When I was in my dads balls swimming while he was grabbing my mother by her legs? Or "I" started when my grandmother gave birth to my mother? Well, maybe my grand-grand-mother... and so on..and on..

random

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
14 Déc 2007
dó ( birth ), ré , mi , fá, sol, lá, si , (death) dó ( birth ), ré , mi , fá, sol, lá, si , (death) dó ( birth ), ré , mi , fá, sol, lá, si , (death) dó ( birth ), ré , mi , fá, sol, lá, si , (death) dó ( birth ), ré , mi , fá, sol, lá, si , (death) dó ( birth ), ré , mi , fá, sol, lá, si , (death) dó ( birth ), ré , mi , fá, sol, lá, si , (death) dó ( birth ), ré , mi , fá, sol, lá, si , (death) dó ( birth ), ré , mi , fá, sol, lá, si , (death) dó ( birth ), ré , mi , fá, sol, lá, si , (death) dó ( birth ), ré , mi , fá, sol, lá, si , (death) ............................................

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
it is an extremely difficult topic. We are all bound to this side and cannot grasp what's on the coast beyond...

In the end, our attitude to life defines our attitude to death. I think that ignoring death is a wrong thing to do, constantly being chased by him on the other hand unhealthy...

afer

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
2 Mar 2007
That pretty much fucks up the idea of time being linear.
Well that's what trips do, too. Gotta get used to. :p

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Do Re Me Fart Sol La Ti Do . Or so i learnt it with the psychonuts anal orchestra .

Linear time is a part / thing / rule of our universe ( not only ours ) but for the multiverse / 10 th / 11th dimension , or whatever one might call it if it "exists". is irelevant . Linear time is first a start and after that an end = cause and effect but in quantum mechanics there is the unsharp relationship = the cause and effect of anything / some things is not clear = maybe the quantum world is not linear = maybe time is not always linear in our universe either........

Put me right if i`m wrong or said it wrong please .

afer

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
2 Mar 2007
I recall a theoretical experiment involving two twins. It's based on the special relativity theory and proves the time to also be relative. Sadly I suck ass at physics so don't expect any strong feedback on this from me :roll:

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
random a dit:
Well, now look at your body, and imagine how much life is going on there. Kind of like, we are the same at the same time, everywhere. But we can only read one page at a time. This may sound a little mussy, but I'll try to explain if anyone is interested.

I think I get your meaning.. It's a metaphor for the phenomenon of life/awareness on this planet.. something much larger than just ourselves. We're all more or less a a part of the same phenomenon reoccurring over and over, in separate places and with separate views of the world.

random

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
14 Déc 2007
GOD a dit:
Linear time is a part / thing / rule of our universe ( not only ours ) but for the multiverse / 10 th / 11th dimension , or whatever one might call it if it "exists". is irelevant . Linear time is first a start and after that an end = cause and effect but in quantum mechanics there is the unsharp relationship = the cause and effect of anything / some things is not clear = maybe the quantum world is not linear = maybe time is not always linear in our universe either........

In my opinion what there is is a time perception for each individual. And that perception can vary many times each day. Well, it actually does!
So I don't think it's that linear.

You're right, it's not linear. And not in an universal way, but in a personal way. Universally, time is linear. The earth spins the same way every day and goes around the sun pretty much the same way since... I dont know when. What is not linear is our perception of it and the sensations we get from it.

st.bot.32 a dit:
I think I get your meaning.. It's a metaphor for the phenomenon of life/awareness on this planet.. something much larger than just ourselves. We're all more or less a a part of the same phenomenon reoccurring over and over, in separate places and with separate views of the world.

I am as much me as I am you or him or everyone else. I could even say the rest of the biosphere life that exists in this planet. And the planet? Well, maybe it's just a cell of something bigger, and so on...

The question now is, what makes me "Me"? Well, it's very beautifull to say this that we are all one, and I am you , you are me, etc... but the feeling of individuality and ego is still here most of the time.
Well, as said before, we can only read one page at a time. And I being "me" now, will eventually be you some time or anyother thing.
What makes me, "I", it's history. It's the page itself. And it only lasts while we read it. When we stop reading it, and turn for another one, than the octave starts all over again.

Look carefully at an ants nest... watch their doing... watch their communications... and then think: How could I tell who is Philip or Samuel? Or even Linda or Mary?
I see it as a big, complex, well structured, advanced and "cloud" like form of life. And they are just doing their thing in this planet. Our brain minds, while Ants do what aver their supposed to do here.

Brugmansia

Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
Death, one may lay down for it with no worries, but it'll struggle and grasp that a tie around the neck and two walking legs is the genuine deliciousness unlike the malicious deceptive myths.

Wealth and poverty is twisted, though heartfelt modesty flourishes inner rationalism. A temporary festivity life is. Because if birth is perpetual, amnesia is too.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
Brugmansia a dit:
A temporary festivity life is. Because if birth is perpetual, amnesia is too.

I quite like that.

magickpencil

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
15 Mai 2008
x2