Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Some advice on San Pedro powder

reDEEMed

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
15 Mai 2011
Hi guys, new to the forum (besides lurking) and ready to post a few things.

I'm doing my first real mescaline extraction. I've made tea and all that, but I've never took the time to do a proper extraction. My starting material is somewhat undesirable for this as it is powder that turns to snot almost immediately when mixed with water. I know that ethanol doesnt do this, but this is what I have to work with right now.

I'm only trying this with 50 grams of powder. I added a fairly strong basic water solution (ph13 from NaOH) to the powder. I started by adding only 500ml, but the shit congealed into a solid mass almost instantly. So, I added another 325 ml. This has remained somewhat loose, but not at all watery. I have it in a 1 liter erlenmeyer with a 1" stir bar. the stir bar is turning but it is not giving me a beautiful green tornado. It's more or less just spinning the lower portion of the goo.

My question is, will the basic water break up the 'snot' at some point? Should I turn on the heat a little? Does the 'snot' come from cellulose? How long is too long to let the lye solution sit in my flask? I don't want to ruin my glass just yet.

Thanks guys!

reDEEMed

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
15 Mai 2011
It's okay guys, everybody please put their hands down.

I got it. A week of slow filtering gave me what I was after. Just incase someone else is having this issue (doubtful, as I possess a special level of stupidity) the problem lies in water+cactus powder=just say no. The particulate that was holding this emulsion together was as fine as talcum powder. No way it ever would have just fell out. From now on it's methanol for me and cactus.

:|

reDEEMed

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
15 Mai 2011
Just re-read my first post and realized I never posted about the hardcore fucking emulsion I had goin' on.

So, yeah, don't shake xylene and cactus sludge up to enthusiastically, they might just never separate. It's taken a shit ton of trial and error and lots of time to end up with clear greenish xylene. I was tempted many times to dump it and try again since I have a good bit of cactus. That hard head of mine would not allow it. If fate is to fuck me out of 50 grams of cactus powder it'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Jahvisions

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
11 Nov 2006
I think normally fine powder should be no problem, I never filtered with a STB. It's is true that there can be dry spots and I believe it's important to wait maybe one or two days that the lye can degrade everything (a lot of people don't have any patience). It would be a big mistake adding xylene before everything is wet (better use toluene though, it gives less emulsions en has less strong smell, it's also gives a cleaner extraction).

I lost my logs but I think I used 200g of KOH in 1 liter distilled water on 250g cactus powder (it could be 1 liter per 125g also) but your amount should be ok. But after every extraction I also added some fresh KOH solution. KOH is also better with emulsions then NaOH and works a lot better because it's not so exothermic end dissolves quick.

Next time let it degrade for a few days in a HDPE jug, add the xylene, shake and roll (not to wild), wait a day, carefully bring it in a erleymeyer and then wait another one or two days, so you reduce the amount of time your lye is sitting in the glass.

of course working with methanol or ethanol should also improve.

reDEEMed

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
15 Mai 2011
Thanks for the advice, Jahvisions. I have no KOH at the moment but it is on my shopping list along with limonene. I am just now starting to gather chemicals. I have spent many months chipping away at buying glassware and learning all I could without actual hands on (not a lot lol). I am definitely ready to try another extraction. Won't be long!!

Jahvisions

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
11 Nov 2006
I was thinking about using limonene myself but I have read it's a poor solvent. It also read is not stable when working with strong acids, don't know with strong base. I believe people got some proper yields with the drytek: mixing the cactuspowder with CaOH and the directly extract with d-limonene.

My advise: if you are able to find toluene use this

reDEEMed

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
15 Mai 2011
I can get toluene.

Aemilius: You're crackin' me up. I will keep giving you fodder, don't despair.

cahillcahill

Banni
Inscrit
19 Mar 2012
I have had great experiences by putting cactus powder in capsules and eating them like that. The last time I did it I was able to fit about 70 grams or so into 100 capsules. I then split it with a friend and had a wonderful experience. It was not what a I would call a strong trip but it was fun. If you have a lot of powder, I would advize getting a lot of capsules. Forget about making tea if you have dried powder and capsules. IMO, that is the best way to fly.

tripofthebrain

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
20 Mar 2012
cahillcahill a dit:
I have had great experiences by putting cactus powder in capsules and eating them like that. The last time I did it I was able to fit about 70 grams or so into 100 capsules. I then split it with a friend and had a wonderful experience. It was not what a I would call a strong trip but it was fun. If you have a lot of powder, I would advize getting a lot of capsules. Forget about making tea if you have dried powder and capsules. IMO, that is the best way to fly.

Great idea cahillcahill(not a Everton fan by perchance?). Will be ordering some myself and I have capsules so this is the route for me! :D