Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Question in regards to preserving mushrooms

• Auteur de la discussion GlassofWater
  • Date de début
G

GlassofWater

Invité
Hi, tomorrow by chance I am going to be able to acquire a 1/4 ounce of mushrooms. This is pretty exciting because they are hard to come by and I have only done them once in the past. Anyways because of how this happened I do not really want to take them right away. I really enjoy preparing for the trip for a while. Also, I have a very busy schedule with finals coming up. Is there a good way to preserve these dried mushrooms for about a month (waiting until christmas break) so they do not mold or get bad? If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Kwarkfanaat

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
2 Jan 2006
I'm not really familiar with keeping them very long, but I usually keep my fresh mushrooms in an air-tight box in the fridge @ 4.0C :)

I think when they're dried; they'll hold a lot longer :)

DevXavier

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
8 Mai 2006
Preserving psychedelics are usually a few factors to keep in mind, if you follow them, you can keep them for very long periods of times.

1) Dark.
2) Airtight.
3) No heat. ( a fridge usually is more than enough)

Some of these factors will be useless for some psychedelics, but better be sure nothing gets lost heh. :)

G

GlassofWater

Invité
so do you think that if i put them in a ziploc bag, in the freezer part of my mini fridge at school i'll be good?

marc

Inscrit
5 Déc 2003
GlassofWater a dit:
Is there a good way to preserve these dried mushrooms for about a month

If they are dried, I don't see a problem in keeping them for a month. Fresh is a different story, but if they are dried real well I think you can keep them for a month at least without any special care.

simbios

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
27 Nov 2006
Taken from Erowid.org

DRYING MUSHROOMS
Fresh

Some people find fresh mushrooms better tasting than dried, and it is also believed that they have higher potency. The current theory is that as mushrooms dry, some of the active compounds oxydize leaving them somewhat less potent. Some also claim that fresh mushrooms produce a more visual experience.

Fresh mushrooms can be stored in tupperware or paper bags in the refridgerator for up to a few weeks.

Drying

* Air Drying : There are many ways to dry mushrooms. The simplest is to lay down clean sheets of newspaper or typing paper on a table or high shelf; preferably somewhere with good air movment. Separate and spread the mushrooms evenly across the paper making sure they do not touch. After 2-3 days, the mushrooms will be mostly dry, having shrunk to a fraction of their original size (fresh mushrooms are approximately 95% water). The color of the mushrooms will also change as they dry.

Once the mushrooms appear completely dry, with the stems no longer breaking apart as they do when they're fresh, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. After 20 minutes, turn the oven off and open the oven door a crack. Let the oven cool for about 5 minutes then place the dried mushrooms in the oven on several layers of newspaper, leaving the door cracked open. After 20 minutes, remove the mushrooms from the oven and let cool in open air for 10 minutes.14

* Silica Gel : Some people use silica gel to help get their mushrooms completely dry. After air drying for several days, putting the mostly dried mushrooms in an air tight container with an open container of silica gel will draw the last moisture out of the mushrooms. Be sure to keep the mushrooms and silica gel from touching.

* Dehydrators : Dehydrators are a simple way to help dry mushrooms. They can be purchased at any home store, and are relatively cheap. The primary benefit of using a dehydrator is if you live in a very damp area where mushrooms don't ever get dry with simple air drying...the dehydrator should work. Otherwise the main difference is that it speeds up the air drying process.

* Warm Oven : For the quickest drying, mushrooms can be put into a cool oven (approx. 90° F) with a fan on if possible. Allow to slowly heat for 2 - 6 hours. Careful not to heat too hot as temperatures higher than 160° F can destroy psilocin. Some believe that this method will reduce the potency of the mushrooms.

* Freeze Drying : This method uses dry ice and a generator to suck out all of the air from the mushrooms. The mushrooms keep their large shape, not shrinking to 10% their fresh size as they will with the rest of the drying methods. Freeze drying does NOT involve putting your mushrooms in the freezer.

Once properly dried, Psilocybian mushrooms should retain their potency indefinitely. One collection of Psilocybe semilanceata from 1861 in England was analyzed and found to be fully potent. More recent experiments have shown mushrooms to remain active for at least 8 years when properly dried and stored.

Once the mushrooms are dry, place them into airtight glass container with a fully sealable lid, and put the container in a dark place. Some psilophiles grind the mushrooms, if you do so, weight the outcome. It is very hard to tell how many mushrooms worth of powder you're taking by just eyeballing a dose. One bonus of grinding your mushrooms is that you can ensure even potency across a large batch. While one P. cubensis mushroom might have a significantly higher potency than another...if you grind them up and mix them together, all measured doses will have the same potency.

----------

Kwarkfanaat

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
2 Jan 2006
Lovely, thanks for your addition :).

G

Invité
Well, keeping them at school is a very very bad idea if you ask me...

But I think you can keep em in an airtight ziplockbag in your room for a month.
Dried you can keep em good much longer then fresh, even without putting them in the fridge...

I'd say keep em in your room ;)
I don't know what the legalstatus of shrooms are in your country, but that doesn't matter, 'cause if they find out that you're keeping shrooms in school, you're fucked anyway

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
If they're completely dry; they'll last years.

I haven't been able to keep mine fresh. I've tried keeping them in the fridge, but they start to get soft and a little mooshy after a week. I tried freezing them too, but they turned green and when you pull them out of the freezer, they melt into black/ green nastiness. I do have one quart-sized mason jar full of honey that's holding about 200 fresh grams of shroomies. They seem to be doing fine, but that much honey was rather expensive.

I also have two jars full of fresh kratom leaves suspended in honey. The 3 of them look pretty cool, sitting on my window sill in the kitchen. They look like a science experiment or something.

G

Invité
Always wondered, how come honey is such a good way to preserve so many things ?

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
I have no idea.

Normally, I dry all my kratom leaves, but I like to have fresh ones to chew on. Keeping them in honey is great because they're so bitter, and all the sugary sweetness from the honey balances it out a bit.

We'll see how the shrooms are doing in another month.