Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Psychedelic drugs, magical thinking and psychosis.

Mescaline

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Jan 2007
Psychedelic drugs, magical thinking and psychosis.
Carhart-Harris R

ABSTRACT:

Psychedelic ('psyche'=soul/mind and 'delos'=to make visible or clear) drugs have been used for centuries in mystical ceremonies. In the 1950/60s they were used widely in psychotherapy, under the premise that they lower psychological defences and facilitate psychological insight. Since the 1950s, the psychedelic state has been considered a model of psychosis. Today, all of these properties of psychedelics are researched: a single high-dose of psilocybin (magic mushrooms) has been found to produce profound, personality-changing spiritual-type experiences in healthy participants1, 2, psilocybin has been found to be effective in psychotherapy for end-of-life anxiety3 and the pharmacological pathways through which psychedelic effects are elicited (i.e. stimulation of the serotonin 2A receptor) continue to be linked with psychosis4. These variegated properties do not seem entirely consistent with one another - e.g. how can the same drug be both psychotomimetic and therapeutically useful? This presentation will attempt to resolve this apparent paradox. Evidence will be cited to support the hypothesis that the prodromal phase of first-episode psychosis, spontaneously occurring spiritual experiences and the psychedelic drug state rest on the same neurobiological state - hereafter referred to as the primitive state. This state is described psychologically as evolutionarily regressive, i.e. it is a state the mind and brain falls back to under certain conditions. This evolutionarily primitive state is characterised by magical thinking: i.e. fallacious thinking in which reality-testing is disavowed and thoughts are easily biased by wishes and anxieties. In the spiritual experience it is wishful fantasies that predominate (although not entirely) and in psychosis, it is paranoid thinking. In the psychedelic state, both wishful and paranoid thinking are common and the valence of the experience is highly sensitive to the environment in which it unfolds. That this state is so sensitive to environmental perturbation has important implications for both psychotherapy with psychedelics and treatment approaches for patients exhibiting signs of psychosis-risk - as it emphasises the importance of shepherding the experience in a positive direction. Underneath its sensitivity to suggestion however, is a more fundamental property of the primitive state: that the perception of difference or separateness breaks down. Evidence from functional brain imaging of a decrease in the orthogonality of different brain states in psychosis, the psychedelic-state and the meditative state is presented - and used to support the hypothesis that there is a breakdown of 'multiplicity' in the primitive state which lies at the base of descriptions of 'union' or 'oneness'5.

About Robin Carhart-Harris

After completing an undergraduate degree in Psychology in 2003, Robin studied psychoanalysis at Masters level, receiving his MA in 2004. In 2005, Robin began a four year PhD in Psychopharmacology at the University of Bristol. Working for Professor David Nutt and Dr Sue Wilson, Robin's thesis focused on sleep and serotonin function in ecstasy users. Robin conducted a clinical study involving sleep electroencephalography (EEG) and tryptophan depletion. In 2009, working closely with the Beckley Foundation, he successfully coordinated the first clinical study of psilocybin in the UK and the first clinical study of a classic psychedelic drug in the UK for over 40 years. Also in 2009, Robin moved to Imperial College London to continue his work under the supervision of Professor David Nutt. With the collaboration of Professor Richard Wise at Cardiff University, Robin has since coordinated the first resting state fMRI investigation of a classic psychedelic drug and the first fMRI and PET investigations of psilocybin and MDMA. Robin is first author on a number of publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals including review articles with eminent neuroscientists Professor's Helen Mayberg and Karl Friston. He has presented his data at several international conferences and has appeared on BBC News.

PMID: 23922414
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2013 Sep;84(9):e1. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2013-306103.17.

Also an interview with Robin about this article over here:
If anybody has access to the full article it would be very nice of you if you could share a copy :) My university sadly doesn't provide access to this journal.

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
Nice read. Especially for people like me who have experienced both the bliss and psychosis on psychedelics. A good trip could alter your life for the better and a bad one could either teach you immensely about life or take you to a state of psychosis. Set and setting and the mind state prior to the psychedelic experience are something you have to be careful about.

FannieBouchard

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
7 Mai 2013
good piece of content specially about the author and and by the read now i am with the mind to go good with it

Jasker Hawk PHD

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
18 Nov 2013
Awesome post! Robin Carhart-Harris sure knows his science, and along with Dr David Nutt they are great examples of advocates in the academic world who push for the ability and right, to test drugs in a scientific and respectable way. Robin also did a IAMA (AskMeAnything) on Reddit on the use of MDMA and Psilosybin to treat depression, its very interesting and you can find it here; IAm Dr. Robin Carhart-Harris from Imperial College London I study the use of MDMA & Psilocybin mushrooms in the treatment of depression." AMA : IAmA

CeceliaMclemore

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Nov 2013
quite informative and coming with many revealing facts .. i have gone through the read closely and filled with enough facts all phsyconauts

Keshav Shreedam

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
16 Oct 2015
[FONT=&quot]That’s a good read indeed! So much data has been thrown at me and it’s only a paragraph, this should be shared! Carhart-Harris certainly knows what he is talking about and he is one of the pioneers of medical research involving the direct use or indirect use of derivatives of psychedelic drugs. Examples of psychedelics as medicines or healers can be seen in some isolated parts of the World, Ayahuasca for example is used in many indigenous tribes in the South USA and some major countries in Europe have undertaken research for the medical purposes of those drugs for the treatment of anxiety, tobacco and alcohol addiction and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). In my opinion, psychedelic do not only have recreational or medical purposes; they may even be used to 'illuminate' population. We are all aware that the simple legalization of marijuana significantly reduced the number of crimes in those specific American states, now imagine psychedelics been legal and consumers briefed on its dangers and consequences - responsible consumption encouraged over the age of 21 of course. THE DREAM![/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

eddiejessup

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
13 Nov 2015
Hi,

This is one of many papers published by Robin Carhart Harris and his team. They're now available to read on the psychedelic science website. They seriously need funding for their research, and are asking for donations to help with the research. If there was any way the moderators or others, could help this get more prominently mentioned, I'd really appreciate it. It's time that depression and other mental illnesses had a new approach, and psychedelics could be the answer. :+1:

Psychedelic Science Org UK - Please support our research!

jonka77

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
22 Avr 2017
Set and setting and the mind state prior to the psychedelic experience are something you have to be careful about.

Toogoodforyou...can you elaborate on the above, or share your experience?