Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Police who tested positive to drugs reassigned, not charged

RollingHigh

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
4 Nov 2008
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html
By Anthony Dowsley
August 07, 2009 12:00am

UPDATE 3.22pm: VICTORIA Police says drug use among the force is to be expected, after two officers tested positive while on duty.

The two officers have been reassigned to different roles within the force but will not be charged.

Of 227 random tests conducted on police in the first year of testing, two officers tested positive to drugs while another returned a positive alcohol reading.

All three positive results were detected in males.

The member who tested positive to alcohol has since resigned, Acting Inspector Jane Welsh said today.

Inspector Welsh, of the human resources department's alcohol and other drugs unit, said today the officers were not being treated any differently to civilians.

She said the positive alcohol and drug tests by on duty police officers came as "no surprise''.

"Victoria Police understood that Victoria Police members represent the broader community and for that reason it was reasonable to anticipate that there would be drug use within the ... force,'' she said.

Insp Welsh said Victoria Police had a responsibility to oversee the welfare of those officers by helping them to rehabilitate or ultimately separating them from the force if the risk posed was too great.

But Insp Welsh said the two male officers who returned positive drug tests continued to work for Victoria Police.

"At this stage they have had their duties reassigned and that will be coupled with intervention and further counselling with regard to the drug use,'' Inspector Welsh told reporters.

Insp Welsh said the members may be subjected to further testing under a management plan developed for the officers in regards to their drug use.

She would not say what drugs the pair tested positive to, only that they were illicit.

Insp Welsh said there had been no cases of positive drug or alcohol use by members involved in critical incidents.

Under the Police Regulation Act, the force will not disclose any identifying details regarding the members, including their rank or work location.

Testing of police, protective service officers, recruits and reservists for drugs and alcohol came into effect on August 18 last year.

RollingHigh

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
4 Nov 2008
Oh the hypocrisy! It's OK for cops to enjoy the occasional bowl but if anyone else does, heaven help them. :x

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
"Victoria Police understood that Victoria Police members represent the broader community and for that reason it was reasonable to anticipate that there would be drug use within the ... force,'' she said.
If it's "reasonable to anticipate...drug use" in the broader community, then why harass those within that community with petty laws and harsh penalties?

mrvitorsky

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
24 Juin 2009
Neither do civilians in the US get charged when they test positive, unless they are on some kinda probation, they just get fired(they were asked to resign same thing) when its done by their job. So whats the point? This sounds completely normal...

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
Anyone's surprised?

This shouldn't be in the news. It's nothing new.

Another proof that the war on (some) drugs is pointless: even those who are fighting it take them.

Affirmatory

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
29 Déc 2008
"Neither do civilians in the US get charged when they test positive, unless they are on some kinda probation, they just get fired(they were asked to resign same thing) when its done by their job. So whats the point? This sounds completely normal... "

This is what I thought at first, but they didn't even get fired. Also it's ironic that a police officer can be tested positive for an illegal substance by another police officer, and only get a slap on the wrist.

Why haven't they disclosed what drug these cops were on? It's important. I don't want cops on meth. I don't mind stoned cops 8)

To me, what this sounds like is; if you want a job and you want to get away with doing drugs, the most understanding employers by far would be the police.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but almost anyone else testing positive for 'illegal drugs' in almost any job will be fired instantly. Even testing positive for cannabis you smoked on your week off, you will lose your livelihood.

buffachino

Inscrit
7 Juin 2007
Maybe they got tired of getting high on their own sense of self righteousness and decided to give something else a try. :lol:

Crimzen

Inscrit
16 Oct 2008
buffachino a dit:
Maybe they got tired of getting high on their own sense of self righteousness and decided to give something else a try. :lol:
LOL +1

VapourTrail

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
17 Sept 2007
Treated no different my ass.

They got to quit with a clean record rather than be fired an have a criminal one.

Souls can be bought and sold for a clean record.

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
I agree.

When I got busted in 2001, I asked the lead investigator these questions when I was being interviewed and they were trying to persuade me to talk.

Me: Tell me something....how can 'ben' (the undercover) eat all those X pills ?

(I saw him eat many of mine, while he was buying them from me over a course of several months. That cop got *soaked* in real mdma)

Cop: It's no big deal, we'll throw him in rehab for 30 days and send him a few counties over. He'll do it all again.

Me: He probably won't be a cop much longer if you keep letting him do all those psychedelics. A word to the wise.

They have an attitude of entitlement that is disgusting, but more importantly, they are just stupid.

So, it's okay to DO these drugs, officer....as long as you're making sure that others can't.

Sorry Sgt. Stadanko, but thats called protecting your turf, not enforcing the law.....it's a gang thing....wait, that's right.

All you are is gangsters anyway.......

(PS - annemarie- what is your position on psychedelics ?)

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Annemarie isn't coming back - but I would love to see what she sayed.

I went to a DEA lecture once. The guy spoke as if the people doing the drugs were bad, not the drugs themselves, which just enforced my idea that he was an idiot, but as his stories went on, I drew a picture of what he was really saying.

He admitted, although not directly, but positively admitted to the fact that they have enough evidence to bust the biggest drug dealers in new jersey and new york, and they know all about them, everything. His story was so outrageous, and I can't believe nobody spoke out against what he said - but then again everyone at the meeting was probably extremely high...

His statement between the lines was that the DEA doesn't bust these high up people,
1. Because this may end up in a very tight situation for the DEA, lots of cop shootings possibly.
but more importantly
2. Because he wouldn't have a job. He wouldn't have something to work towards. They intentionally KEEP the high up people, all the while taking out the lower drug peddlers. Once in a while they will make a large bust, to put it in the newspapers.

The officer spoke of a time when he went to Joe Blow's house, the biggest coke dealer in New York, and spoke to him about one of his men killing a cop - and how the guy needed to be shot. The DEA officer left, and a "slummy" was found dead the next day. He was friends with the coke dealer, they had spoken and talked on several occasions and had begun to know each other...

It was ridiculous.

I've actually posted this story before - sorry if you've read it twice.

VapourTrail

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
17 Sept 2007
Spice - good to know they can break the law to catch people.

I wonder if that applies to other types of crimes.

If they were investigating assassins, would they get to kill people?