Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Peyotes getting weird colors

ProStoner

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
hey
I think I havn't been on the forum for more then a year :p and now i'm back ! :p with a question.

my peyote is starting to get some weird colors, since I put it outside 2 weeks ago because the weather was very sunny with temperatures of 20 to almost 30 degrees
I watered them when the ground had dried up, I think they got about 6-8 hours of sun a day
I watered them with normal water from the crane... (which in the netherlands is very good quality)
I also felt if the colored skin was very soft .. like with an fungus infection or such. but its not much softer then the normal green skin it still has

also it shriveled up about a year ago .. when the winter starting coming... and after that( about a year later) it never really got back to his old posture.. which was fat and very green

Can anyone help me with these problems ??
tell me if u need more information

HappyMind

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
16 Mai 2007
It looks like he's started to rotten.
Maybe you give him too much water? How much you give him?

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
it looks like you have a fungal infection. normally by the time you see the small scabs on the skin the fungi has invaded all the water storage cells and the plant is near death. ive had this problem with my san pedro and peruvias torch. it may not be too late though. treat them with a systemic fungicide suitable for fruit and vegetagles and they should recover. follow the instructions for the product. i wish you luck and keep us posted

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
well I gave them water when the ground was dried up .. and because they were so shriveled up .. I thought thye were not taking in any water ...

i`ll go to the garden center then today and pick some up ..
but i`m not sure what u exactly mean by systemic fungicide ..
do u have an example product ?? (dutch maybe) ?? hehe

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Hey ProStoner!

Welcome back.

Eventhough I can't help you with your problem, I just wanted to say high!

Nice picture by the way. I love closeups!

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
hehe thanks guys :) good to be back, and indeed .. a good picture is neccesary when u ask things like this :)

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
hmm I just got back from the Intratuin.. big garden centre in holland..
and they tell me they've never heard from something to treat the cactus with when they are rotting ..

maybe I should take them out of the ground and let them dry ??
or try to cut out the infection and dry them ??

Pariah

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Mar 2008
I don't know if this is appropriate for a cactus, but didn't gardeners use copper sulphate before everything had a useless brand name? - you can get copper sulphate from a kids chemistry set, or maybe ebay, and perhaps theres a guide somewhere on the internet for dosage / dilution.

Pariah

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
well it will have to be something that I can get within a few days :p and I dunno how expensive that is ??
but what should I do with that stuff then ?? just sprinkle it over the cactus ? :p
or put it in the ground ?

Goran.Hrsak

Inscrit
30 Mar 2006
Hi man, welcome back.
I believe that your cacti acts just like Peyote with one of three possible issues.
First one is very low moist in soil, low wintering and spring watering, hollow soil similar to old earth or dust mixed with ash and some water.
Here you need to replant cacti into new pot, new soil.
Second can be sun burn with rotted flash because to much water in noon-sun is deadly to any plant. Early in morning or evening is watering time.
This can build rotten tissue. You will need to see if (take Peyote out of pot) all the roots are effected or just one size? Roots are double sized confronting to "Green body". Feel with fingers, then small blade to see if root or body is healthy or brown and rotten.
Third option can be fungi stuff. But fungi is 50% of "second issue" problem. Burn-water=rotting and fungi attack

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
it could indeed be a combination of burn and water

the root seems ok .. its not really soft .. but not rock hard

I have taken them out of the pot now .. and removed most of the sand around the roots .. and they are now lying near my window .. outside any direct light.

but 4 out of 5 have they colors and softness of tissue around the lowest part

I`ve heard suggestion like grafting or just cutting out the rotting flesh and let them dry till they get roots again .. and hope they survive that

but i`m a bit scared to start cutting in them :)

the roots are as fat as the green body .. but in vertical length 2,5 times longer

they seem healthy ..but I dont really know enough to say for sure...
I might be able to post detailed photo's of the other peyotes with pictures of the roots

if that could help u ?

sval

Inscrit
5 Déc 2007
yes, I think you give it too much water, and sun exposition made it "burn" I got the same problem about 1 year when I tried to cultivate peyotl & mamillarias... but it will go on growing, check the roots and don't expose it directly to UV.

G

Invité
a piece of advice...those rocks that you have above the soil, aren't just for aestethic purposes. they maintain the soil humid. i have a "bunny's ears" cactus, from the same family of the ficus indica, which consumes A LOT of water, due to its high growth rate, and i could keep him in direct sun light 10h-14h, 40% RH and about 35-40ºC and he could keep the water humid for 3-4 days, sometimes even more. that's a lot. compare that to your peyote, which does not consume much water in dormant times, and i understood that you placed him in full sun ?
peyotes can NEVER be on direct sunlight. they are not like other cactus, they live on the shade of bigger plants/rocks. use a toothpick to check your soil humidity.
water them from beneath, and not from the top, it stimulates root growth - fertilizer or not, it is up to you.
all cacti have dormant times, you need to "read" the cactus, to know it has awakened and what does he need. it looks wrinkled and flacid ? needs water. has different colours ? red/brown ? too much sun. white, weird light spots ? little sun, expose gradually - first to indirect sunlight, then direct. don't water them until the weather has changed from winter to spring. don't check the weather chart, you need to FEEL the weather change. i felt it quite late this year. i have a gymnocalcium here with me and he has only flowered this week, and he gets direct sunlight about 6h a day.
reading a cactus like you read someones facial expressions is essencial! even though i don't know as much as goran, i gave you advices that came from some experience and are comproved...

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
thanks daytripper .. your knowledge of the plant is certainly greater than mine :)
and if these ones don't survive .. I will know how to treat the new ones better now :)

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
systemic fungicides penetrate the whole plant killing fungi growing within the plant tissues. the problem you have is under the skin/within the cells of your cacti. visit your local garden center and see whats available. anything suitable for food crops should do the job. tell shop staff its for soft fruit and they should direct you to a suitable product. its cheap. follow instructions as to safe period before consumption(usually a week or so) before comsuming your goodies. im sure your in no hurry. avoid products aimed at house plants/ ornamentals as they are more toxic to you and longer lasting in the plant. use fungicide every couple weeks till they recover then monthly.the exact products availabl vary from place to place but as long as suitable for food crops will work fine. Anything suitable for weed should do too. you must live near a grow shop

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
allright , i`ll try that then :) soft fruit , food crops
I presume I need to put them back in the ground for it to work ? :p

G

Invité
i once read, or heard, that when a cactus is starting to rot, you should remove him from the pot, and then remove all soil from him (including roots). i don't know if this will work, perhaps goran will know something about this.
perhaps if you get to see the whole cactus, you know which parts are rotten, and you can cut them, perhaps it will survive (if the fungal infection has not spread to all parts yet). i also think that sulfur is what you put in a cactus wound for it to heal faster/without more infections, but i am not sure, these are all ideas i had in the back of my head, and i don't know if i dreamt them or they are true...goran will certainly know and give his opinion. anyway, for know, keep that peyote away from other plants/cactus you might have.
just a curiosity: if you live in a cold country, why those rocks on top of the soil ? cold weather = the soil doesn't dry very easily, and those rocks are making the perfect habitat for fungal growth, keeping it moist for days and days, perhaps weeks. you can only water them when the soil is so dry that it doesn't form any clumps, it has the consistency of sand.
if i had a peyote or other slow growing cactus, i would never put those pretty rocks on them, and i leave in a very dry and hot region. fast growing cactus use more water and, as far as i know, they use more sun. although they may look the same, you will only know what they like or don't like by speaking to other experienced folks, or by good books (very hard to find about cactus growing...at least i never found one). there are a lot of other cactus growing forums on the internet, place your questions there, everyone is very experienced...

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
Hey

I got a fungal problem on my rose of Jericho which I solved using an anti fungicide from the gardencenter. The mix is allowed for use on food plants also in the Netherlands and maybe it can help you solve it. Let me know if you still have the problem then I will search for the bottle and give you the info.

I cured the fungal infection on my rose of Jericho after one treatment with a very dilluted solution.

L&P
HC

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
hey

I bought Vital "verhoogt de weerstand" from Ecostyle
this is used to treat fungicide on plants and fruits
so I put my peyotes in new soil without stones( I didnt think about the humidity when I did that :p)
and sprayed the stuff on it .. and should I keep them inside or outside now ?

lets hope for the best :)
thanks for the help so far :D