Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Mushroom Or Other Psychedelic Tripping In An Isolation Tank

UniversalConsciousness

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
7 Avr 2009
Has anyone here tried tripping/being stoned in a flotation/isolation tank?

This seems like the ultimate way to trip. Especially with a psychedelic like mushrooms. Terrance Mckenna always pointed out that the best way to trip was in silent darkness for obvious reasons.....you should limit as much sensory input as you can to get in touch with the real message of the psychedelic and the shift in awareness. Of course the silent darkness is just sensory deprivation of hearing and vision......your taste, smell, and especially touch is still somewhat intact. Of course with deep meditation there are ways around this, but it would be more effective and helpful if all the other senses were deprived as well....especially the tactile sense....since this is what connects our bodily perception to the outside world. When you're floating in an isolation tank you basically have the sensation you're just floating in space.

Joe Rogan has talked about the isolation tank, both with and without using entheogens. He points out in one of his videos that the isolation tank can be psychedelic in its own right, but for example when combined with pot, it cranks up the awareness of pot to 10, and I wouldn't be surprised. Meditating on some pot in an isolation tank would be a daily ritual I would thoroughly find to be enlightening. He also briefly mentions that he has been in a isolation tank on shrooms, imagine what surreal experiences you can have by combining a high dose of shrooms and the tank.

I imagine you can do LSD in such a tank too.....I think even John Lilly has attempted this (I think he also tried it with ketamine). I imagine you can create more interesting realms in such sensory deprivation with acid, since acid seems to take you to a more 'what you make of it' sort of realm, though I imagine the longer 10 hour duration of acid might be a bit too much for a tripper.....even mushrooms are a 5 hour trip. But it could probably still be done, and of course you don't have to stay in the tank for the whole trip if you start to get too anxious or whatever.

There would be no point I think with smoking DMT and entering an isolation tank due to the short duration and being too much in a trance to have the presence of mind to enter the isolation tank on time. Well in any case DMT takes you to a universe of its own, no matter where you are. Perhaps it would be more possible to trip on ayahuasca and use the tank....though the body discomfort and purging might make it difficult.

Here's a vid of Rogan discussing the flotation/isolation tank;

What do you think of tripping/being stoned in conjunction with isolation/flotation tank use?

Getafix

Banni
Inscrit
18 Avr 2009
As far as ketamine is concerned, someone died last year. His girlfriend was tripping in a floatation tank next to him. After the session it turned out he was dead. Ketamine and water are a bad combination...

I haven't tried a floatation tank yet. I could try it out one day, now that I'm hanging around in Amsterdam more often. It's a bit expensive, and the sessions are relatively short, but I'm still quite interested.

Buying one is not an option for most of us, as they are very, very expensive, approximately 15.000 euros.

They would be great for trips aimed at transcendence.

Oknayd

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
5 Mai 2008
I tried the floatation tank a couple of years ago, 2 times for 90 minutes or so. I very much liked it and when i stepped outside i felt refreshed and very calm and quiet. I felt a little bit weird in the outside world with all the cars and people and daily business but it didnt really bother me and i walked to the train station perfectly happy.
I have thought about smoking a little hash before going in the floatation tank but didn't do it because i already felt a little weird being in that place (it was more or less some skin care/massage center plus 2 floatation tanks, lol) and the effect was enough for me at that time.
Maybe i'll try it this year when i have the money to go, i've found out there is a floatation-center here in Rotterdam.

Mushrooms would be interesting to do but i would only try that if i had a tank in my own home or at a friend's place. Something i don't see happening unless i win the jackpot or something like that :p

Getafix

Banni
Inscrit
18 Avr 2009
There's also a floatation center (Koan Float) in Amsterdam, but look at the prices!

45 minuten floaten € 32,50
60 minuten floaten € 38,50
5x 45 minuten floaten (6 maanden geldig) € 150,00
5x 60 minuten floaten (6 maanden geldig) € 175,00
10x 45 minuten floaten (12 maanden geldig) € 285,00
10x 60 minuten floaten (12 maanden geldig) € 330,00

LSD is much cheaper! :lol:

Getafix

Banni
Inscrit
18 Avr 2009
I was going through my old email to search for a correspondence I had had with a floatation tank manufacturer, but couldn't find it. But I did find this, written by me in August 2007. You'll notice some of my 'recent' ideas have been on my mind for quite some time already.

HELP NEEDED

I, and I'm sure many of my (future) friends, can explain psychedelics
from a philosophical, theological, historic, shamanic, psychological
and metaphysical point of view. But every time I contemplated giving
lectures in my neighborhood I thought: "What's the use? If people
don't undergo the experience, what would have been accomplished?"

What is that experience?

It's the experience one has when one ingests a dose of 50 to 150 grams
of fresh Psilocybe Cubensis mushrooms, remaining seated or lying down
in silent darkness. Like human beings used to do (with whichever
psychedelic plant or mushroom they used) in deep caves or the inner
chambers of the Pyramids.

Why is it so difficult for people to undergo this experience? Because
to create a room that is absolutely dark and silent is very difficult
for us city dwellers. Tourists visiting Amsterdam cannot create such
conditions in their hotel room. Students living in tiny apartments
cannot, and most frustrating of all: I cannot.

So the current situation is that I may give a far-out lecture, 8 hours
straight if desired, but I cannot offer anyone the ideal
circumstances, the perfect set & setting, for the type of psychedelic
experience I have told them about. Sure, some individuals may have a
big house outside the city, but they would be the exception rather
than the rule.

I want to create a small psychedelic sanctuary, where we build 5 to 10
cabins (within a larger building) that can be made completely dark and
silent, yet well ventilated, kept at a steady temperature,
comfortable, safe, with built-in loudspeakers for playing music during
the onset and ending of the trip (to be controlled by the
shaman/therapist overseeing each session). Kind of like the (extremely
expensive) floatation tanks, but in this case specifically designed
for high dose psychedelic experiences.

Where?

In the Netherlands mushrooms are legal, and most probably will remain
so. I think it would be practical if it's near The Hague or Amsterdam.
I do not have some kind of mansion in mind, that's going to be way too
expensive. It must be kept low budget, or: all funds should first of
all go into creating the best possible cabins.

Who would likely pay to have the experience?

- theology students;
- people interested in shamanism;
- intellectual, spiritually inclined tourists;
- (Dutch) celebrities, who would like to make an unusual TV program;
- artists, musicians, hippies of all sorts visiting the Netherlands
for whatever reason;
- me.

If drugs sell, if New Age workshops sell, if detox programs sell, if
Jesus sells, then this sensory deprivation place is going to attract
enough funds to pay the bills too.

What will be the result?

The result could be worldwide attention. One person undergoing ego-death
and feeling the cosmic unity, and seeing that beautiful self-illuminated inner
world, is going to understand more about the nature of the experience than
500 people hearing or reading about it combined. They will get the message
and spread the message. I think it's going to be the most effective thing to do
to win the War On Drugs. A GHQ must be established in the Netherlands.

What could be added to the project?

Later on, all kinds of things could surround the cabins: a bar, a
detox program, a place to dance, a lecture room etc.

I'm going to need help (carpenters, engineers, pharmacists,
psychologists etc.) to turn this idea into a reality. When it does
become a reality, the amount of cabins could increase, or we could
create another center in another part of the country.

Of course, the start of this enterprise is going to depend on funds,
or simply a building offered to us by someone.

Oknayd

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
5 Mai 2008
i was lucky and could go 2 times for the price of one or something like that. (in leiden, but they don't have the isolation tanks anymore)

it's too expensive, yes i agree... if it would be cheaper i would be going first thing tomorrow :D

Brugmansia

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
It seems a very refreshing way to sense your self from tone to head with entheogens. It takes away even more gravity than a comfortable position on a bed and the skin and it's nerves will be sensed in new way. Not to start about the inner serenity. All concentration on the opened mind.

I'd love to do this, I consider myself crazy enough to buy one myself one day.

Getafix

Banni
Inscrit
18 Avr 2009
Brugmansia a dit:
I'd love to do this, I consider myself crazy enough to buy one myself one day.
There's nothing crazy about it, if one has the funds.

It takes away even more gravity than a comfortable position on a bed
Yes, it must be like flying, the ultimate suspension in space. I think one should practice with floating by itself first though, and have psychedelic sessions supervised by a sitter.

Getafix

Banni
Inscrit
18 Avr 2009
I like this one, from a company based in the US:

Samadhi tanks

It has an inbuilt loudspeakers as well as a microphone.

But these are nice too, lots of variety (from the UK):

Floataway

Note: some of them (like the Skylark) are not suitable for commercial use. The Tranquility is.

Which one would you choose?

Getafix

Banni
Inscrit
18 Avr 2009
MelloTrip a dit:
Those are the same as the ones offered by Floataway. I just sent an email asking for prices (commercial use, as I would install it in my storefront) of the Tranquility and the upgrade options.

This device sounds fascinating to me. Luckily, there's a floating center very close from where I live. It's expensive, but I'd love to try one someday.
I've got a floatation tank around the corner from where I work. I'll try it out next week, or maybe this weekend.

restin

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
I think I would panic and drown :wink:

Getafix

Banni
Inscrit
18 Avr 2009
Turn off your mind, relax
and float down stream
It is not dying
It is not dying

Lay down all thought
Surrender to the void
It is shining
It is shining

That you may see
The meaning of within
It is being
It is being

MelloTrip

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Getafix a dit:
Those are the same as the ones offered by Floataway. I just sent an email asking for prices (commercial use, as I would install it in my storefront) of the Tranquility and the upgrade options.

Please keep us informed.

Getafix a dit:
I've got a floatation tank around the corner from where I work. I'll try it out next week, or maybe this weekend.

Your feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks ! :D

lucky_lab_rat

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Avr 2009
I would not recommend psychedelics in a flotation tank until you had a good number of floats under your belt. Even then- not for everyone...
I used to have a friend who owned a tank- I do not think I would ever do psychedelics at a commercial one- too many chances for problems...

mozart72

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
18 Mar 2008
I would really like just to try the isolation tank experience, sober. It seems to be a drug by itself :-D