Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Memory loss seen in Ecstasy users

Dr. Leospace

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Oct 2005
Memory loss seen in Ecstasy users

Studies have shown that the recreational drug Ecstasy can cause brain damage when used often, but a new study suggests that even a few doses of the illegal substance can alter the brain's memory system and that the changes may be long-lasting.

"We didn't expect to find such changes," said Dr. Maartje De Win, a resident in radiology at the Academic Medicine Center in Amsterdam. She and her colleagues tested the effects of the popular drug on 188 young adults (average age 22) they recruited who said they had intentions of trying Ecstasy but had not done so yet.

The volunteers were given initial brain scans and followed for 18 months. By that time, 59 had used an average of six tablets. They were invited back into the scanning machines, along with another 59 of the volunteers who had not yet experimented with the drug.

The scientists found that the people who experimented with Ecstasy showed subtle memory loss and a decrease in brain blood circulation based on tests they were given. The scans and the psychological tests were done anywhere from two to 18 weeks after they had taken the drug.

Ecstasy, also called MDMA, selectively targets a brain chemical called serotonin that has many jobs - from regulating mood and memories to helping blood circulate. People who take the drug say it heightens their sensory perceptions and makes them feel more uninhibited and energetic. "They say they can dance all night," De Win said. "They also say they feel more love for others."

There was no damage to the neurons that make serotonin, as was observed in studies done on chronic Ecstasy users.

"In heavy Ecstasy users, the effects are more clear," De Win said. "But even in incidental users, we saw small effects. We don't know whether the blood flow changes are some kind of brain adaptation to the drug, or whether it will be reversible."

The scientists also conducted other types of brain scans and showed that there are structural changes in the cells - even in those who have only taken Ecstasy a few times.

The findings were presented earlier this week at the Radiological Society of North America's annual meeting in Chicago.

The scientists say they hope to follow these people for a year to see if the changes persist.

BY JAMIE TALAN
Source: Newsday

Dutch link: http://www.elsevier.nl/nieuws/laatste_24_uur/artikel/asp/artnr/128168/

G

Invité
Everytime another story...
WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH MDMA????

Tetris

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Juin 2006
Just use it and be happy ;- )

spijtig

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
28 Nov 2006
There is poverty and hunger and disease and pollution and the death of the oceans, and a malign administration in Washington wishing to ignore all those problems, and there are so many hours in the day.

en maar jagen op de kleine druggebruikers die de wereld toch wel verzieken,niet waar...

nu het lijkt dat wetenschappers ruzie hebben over het onderwerp, ik heb nog té weinig met XTC geëxperimenteerd om er veel over te kunnen zeggen,
wat me opvalt is een serieuze DOWN de dagen na het nemen van zo'n pilletje,
sommige vrienden nemen vier of vijf 'bollen' op een avond, zitten dan nog net iets depresiever thuis de dagen erna...

volgens mij messed het echt met onze brains, wel hebik gelezen dat je bepaalde drankjes met vitaminen kan maken (was het nu vitamine c met magnezium...of iets anders) zodat je je minder slecht voelt achteraf,

dus hoe ondervinden echte xtc gebruikens de na-effecten?
denken jullie dat er brain damage opgelopen wordt, of is ons 'dopamine systeem' gewoon enkele dagen de kluts kwijt maar herstelt alles zich weer perfect na een tijdje?

..curious!

tryptonaut

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
I just wanted to post an answer and suddenly my browser (Mozilla 1.508) closed without warning. Does that mean anything? :shock: ;)

What I wanted to say was, wait, I forgot... just kidding ;)

From my experience I can say that taking 10 ecstasy pills in one week (at most two and a half in one evening) can lead to extreme memory problems. At least this was true for me with pills that supposedly contained a lot of amphetamines (or only amphetamines??). However these problems went away after a few days and I can't tell you if I was affected longer. I also smoked weed on a daily basis at the time and maybe I was affected by that as well.
From what I can tell I have not been affected in the long range by taking at least 50 to 60 ecstasy pills (of unknown ingredients). If there was some long range effect it can't be strong as I still feel the same like before (although I had been pretty drugged out sometimes during the time I had been taking the x...)

SubstanceD

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
25 Nov 2006
Remember Ricaurte. He claimed 'ectsay' blew holes in your brain. In fact, he used meth not MDMA, implying that meth may well be much more nuerotoxic, yet the focus is still on MDMA.

I'd take it all with a pinch of salt (not that I have any wish to take either meth nor 'e' any more).

Tryptonaut, have you ever tried using a Marquis reagent test? It will give you an idea of whether your pills are pure. If you take MDMA a lot its get more and more amphetamine like anyway.

SubstanceD

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
25 Nov 2006
Remember Ricaurte. He claimed 'ectsay' blew holes in your brain. In fact, he used meth not MDMA, implying that meth may well be much more nuerotoxic, yet the focus is still on MDMA.

I'd take it all with a pinch of salt (not that I have any wish to take either meth nor 'e' any more).

G

Invité
SubstanceD a dit:

He then published a letter where he admitted his error, see the links I've already posted ...