Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Kundalini yoga

sunshroom

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
27 Juil 2008
What to you think about it, worth a try? I saw a advertisement in my uni, but could not have a closer look, because i was in a hurry. What about these dangers when not training with good Master and how probable it is that the master training here is something more then one "stupid western".
Someone who have had experience with this kind of yoga, let us know.

Shapeshifter

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
28 Août 2009
2 friends of mine practise it here in Utrecht, they are very much excited about the spiritual benefits, increased energy and the bodyly relaxation this practise brings you.

I think that it's cool to practise it, just look at your own boundries as the body will show you what is oke and what is not =)

And if it looks like the teacher is not skilled enough just quit, can't you take a try-out-lesson?

grtz

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
I'm not sure, the term sounds a bit pretentious to me, unless someone renounces the world, enters the forest and devotes all his time to mastering the techniques and then activating the kundalini, indeed under the guidance of a qualified guru.

Is there also a yoga school around that teaches the techniques of Iyengar? I've always felt his approach to be sober, realistic and at the same time effective and illuminating.

http://www.bksiyengar.com/

Proteus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Sept 2009
I agree with CM. Kundalini Yoga is a bit pretentious - there is a lot of hype about it. Much better to go for a more well rounded system of Yoga if you can find a good teacher.

Finding a very experienced practioner who has also been teaching for long enough to know how to give a class well is an invaluble find. Its a good idea to hunt around for such a person. If the Kundalini class is headed by someone like that it might be great. Otherwise avoid. Its not worth investing the time & energy into learning from someone who isn't first class or at least still being taught from someone who is first class.

All the above applies to traditional Chinese qigong & internal martial arts like taiji too. Find a real master with that and you've struck gold.

sunshroom

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
27 Juil 2008
Caduceus Mercurius a dit:
I'm not sure, the term sounds a bit pretentious to me, unless someone renounces the world, enters the forest and devotes all his time to mastering the techniques and then activating the kundalini, indeed under the guidance of a qualified guru.

Is there also a yoga school around that teaches the techniques of Iyengar? I've always felt his approach to be sober, realistic and at the same time effective and illuminating.

That´s what i thought actually, having read something about kundalini in Wilber works, it seemed bit dubious that it can be taught/guided correctly/effectively around here.

I look into Iyengar, thanks for the tip.

yuukidyna

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
30 Sept 2009
Kundalini yoga is a great exercise for you body.by doing this your body moves become more powerful and it gives freshness and pureity to your body and your mind.

VerusDeus

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
6 Avr 2006
I was very skeptical about westerners teaching eastern traditional meditation techniques and exercises, but I just tried a local taiji teacher, and so far he seems excellent. He goes to workshops abroad to keep his skill fresh, and he gets students from all over Europe.

I doesn't hurt to try, and I think most people who devote their life to teaching these martial arts/meditative exercises are mostly serious enough about it to have had the sufficient training for it.

Furthermore untill you reach advanced levels, even a not-so-good teacher can teach you a lot of valuable things. Plus you can also second-op it by simply browsing the web or getting some books about it at your local library.

Of course we would all rather have a devout Tao master or Zen buddhist master or a proper Guru, but you won't find them very often out here in the western world :p

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
Yoga is good for the flexibility of your body and to a certain extent your strength. If its power yoga, its good for fitness and strength too.. that's it.
For exploring your mind learn some good meditations.

McAllister

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
30 Juil 2008
I am a huge fan of Maya Fiennes and her Yogi Bhajan style of Kundalini Yoga.
http://www.mayaspace.com/

What shrooms gave me was the opportunity to have a taste and experience of what my body would feel like when free of all the blockages of mind and body caused by eating the wrong kind of food and being made sick by being brought up in a too strict disciplinarian society to make me heel to the establishment.

I tried various forms of physical exercise and yoga to get my body to start to approach the level glimpsed under the shrooms, and I settled on Kundalini Yoga. I would highly recommend Kundalini Yoga. For me it's not too biased towards the physical stuff as to make me neglect meditation, and not too biased towards meditation to make me neglect the physical stuff. Unlike many yoga teachers who go too fast for me to be able to keep up, Maya Fiennes teaches at just the right pace for me to follow. My occasional dabbles with shrooms serve to remind me that I need to keep up with my kundalini yoga work to have the freedom from physical and mental blockages I aspire to.

Proteus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Sept 2009
McAllister a dit:
What shrooms gave me was the opportunity to have a taste and experience of what my body would feel like when free of all the blockages of mind and body caused by eating the wrong kind of food and being made sick by being brought up in a too strict disciplinarian society to make me heel to the establishment.
Apologies for asking if you've written about this elsewhere before, but could you say more about this? Am interested.

My body can complain about my health when I've taken shrooms. Especially when I used to smoke I'd get a lot of complaining. It made me want to give up smoking, get more exercise and eat healthier, I mean really healthier - not the kind of rubbish the Food Standards Agency pushes as healthy. It goes deeper than that but those were some issues that shrooms helped me deal with.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
McAllister a dit:
I am a huge fan of Maya Fiennes and her Yogi Bhajan style of Kundalini Yoga.
I didn't realize, or forgot rather, that in the West Kundalini Yoga is usually related to the teachings of Yogi Bhajan.

As I read just now on Wikipedia:

"While adhering to the three pillars of Patanjali's traditional yoga system (discipline, self-awareness and self-dedication) Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan does not condone extremes of asceticism or renunciation. Yogi Bhajan encouraged his students to marry, establish businesses, and be fully engaged in society. Rather than worshiping God, Yogi Bhajan insisted that his students train their mind to experience God."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogi_Bhajan

Yogi Bhajan was a practitioner of the Sikh religion. He seemed to have a peculiar attitude about that though:

[quote:kejh357r]Turning Yogis into Khalsa Sikhs

Yogi Bhajan in his own words: “Religion has done the worst. What religion has done is to create the mental coercive state of slaves. Religion didn't do something to free somebody. It didn't say: “Go ahead and be!

McAllister

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
30 Juil 2008
Proteus a dit:
McAllister a dit:
Apologies for asking if you've written about this elsewhere before, but could you say more about this? Am interested.

My body can complain about my health when I've taken shrooms. Especially when I used to smoke I'd get a lot of complaining. It made me want to give up smoking, get more exercise and eat healthier, I mean really healthier - not the kind of rubbish the Food Standards Agency pushes as healthy. It goes deeper than that but those were some issues that shrooms helped me deal with.

I’ll try to elaborate based on my own experience.
One of the most common closed eye visual I get first is of different parts of my anatomy so if any part of it is unhealthy there’s no place to hide, it’s like all is revealed to you in a scan of your body. Needless to say it’s my heart I get most worried about when I realise how important it is to have it healthy and pumping blood around my body, but I can feel it surrounded by fat that impedes it so I know not only that I have to keep my heart healthy but I have to do something about reducing that fat to get my heart working more efficiently.
Once I got a closed visual of myself looking extremely fat. It was a harsh vision, but if my body, or a higher consciousness wants me to know I need to trim down one way to do it is by projecting an unflattering reflection of myself.
When I’m at the peak of my trip I can do some things that I can’t normally do. I can bend and stretch my limbs further, walk and dance more energetically, my five senses are enhanced in general. When I’m back to normal I wish I had the abilities I have when I’m on shrooms and want to work on improving myself so know I have to eat more healthily and do more exercise.
I’m also far less inhibited under the shrooms. I have certain memories of being shouted at by my father, being put behind a desk at school and taught to conform with the authority, etc and I laugh at these memories and how heavy the people were who taught me to conform to the establishment. But these inhibitions put on me are temporarily lifted until I start to come down.

Guigz

Inscrit
18 Sept 2008
Caduceus Mercurius a dit:

totally agree with that.
Transcendantal meditation is the more easier way, and the impact on your healt is amazing.
I've got a lot of ressources on this but sorry it's in french.
Sorry CM, I things you will dont like wath i say now, yogi and his bullshit on spirituality are...bullshit.
But you can pratice TM without the VishishtAdvaita Vedanta spirituality.
Sorry again if I shock people who venerate yogi.

H2O2

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
27 Nov 2011
Kundalini helped me achieve the most profound spiritual experiences of my humble life.
I took a class (afterwards), and learned some new exercises, but wasn't too impressed with the teacher.

The exercises were very helpful though.

But, I don't judge a path by the teachers I find selling it at the Y or in my local Uni.
In fact, I try not to judge a path by the teachers at all. That'd be my advice. Yes, being in the
presence of someone with powerful Shakti can have a positive influence on you. But finding that
person may take decades, and why waste time not developing a personal practice?

Unless your teacher is going to achieve 'samadhi' for you, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on them.
The teacher is a finger. The practice is the moon. Yes, I just dropped that old nugget in this thread.
:D

It's better to choose the 'wrong' path and walk it well, than spend your life flitting about the surface of whatever new bauble the market decides to pimp out for your consumption, and their pocketbooks. 'Lifestyle religion'. People trying on different in-fashion practices like changing underwear.

Remember:
Good things attract bad and anything with real benefit will attract plastic salesmen trying to personally gain power and influence from the well deserved reputation of others. Also, to correct their own inadequacies. Often misrepresenting the message, they will obscure the once powerful practice from the eyes of the public.

'You can sit in many different places and look at the same moon'.
Selecting a path can be another excuse to keep you from the hard work ahead.

But, what do I know? I'm still very much in the dark and learning things every day.
Salut!

H2O2

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
27 Nov 2011
Baba Fats in Nepal. :) Also, books at the library.
And a few close, long-term friendships with practitioners.
:heart:
But, maybe, the less you know the easier it'll be.
And all the books in the world will just serve to
distance you from your own mind ...maybe.

H2O2

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
27 Nov 2011
You are always in Nepal. :heart:...................................... :rock:
smile.jpg

H2O2

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
27 Nov 2011
:rock: <--- thought this guy said 'rockin'... not 'rock ya'. Damn ye giant customized cursor.
Didn't intend to 'rock' anyone. Not sure if that makes a difference, but didn't want you, Allusion,
to think I was making a joke at your expense. Twee-Dee-Dee-Dee...

Anyways, have a good weekend, back to your regularly scheduled programming...