Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Human space/time migration and the new frontier ?

magickmumu

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
Space the final frontier. But before it can become the final frontier it has to become the new frontier first.
Do you believe that space is the final frontier. Or are you sure people will never migrate in to space.
Maybe the human race will split up. One part mutates in space and turn into a new space race. The rest of the humans stays on this planet and is doomed.
Or do we discover a way to time travel and step out of linear time.

Psyolopher

Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
What if we will evolve intellectually and change the definition of tiem and space?
WHat happens then?

And btw, yes it looks like the concept in the game EVE online.
Just fkn spread up into diverse races, and rape other planets.

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
We have and are still in the process of changing our definition of space and time.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
As of right now, even being very liberal with technological advances, I don't think we'll outlast our sun ...

We won't leave our solar system.

We could however, just become sentient beings that are advanced in a way to... much like cryogenics, just essentially slow down dramatically, or hibernate. This would allow us to simply just float in space for essentially an eternity... If we were to be conscious during this excursion, some sort of long lasting energy source would be needed.

... Example: imagine just simply slowing down your entire body process, your heart no longer beats, and your neurons maybe fire once every few months... your perception of time would change - like that of sleeping. You blast of from earth, you have a few thoughts here and there, you wake up in another solar system, warmed by the new star.

... But that's probably another 250, 300 years away.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
yeah i wonder if it will happen. the us spends hundreds of billions of $ a year on war and a paltry fraction of that on performing a few experiments a year in space. too bad, all fields of science down here on earth, from cancer research to geology to biology stand to benefit.

the amount of resources needed for manned space exploration would require the human race to drop its weapons and start building together--that ain't gonna happen anytime soon! if anything nationalism is on the rise these days..

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
What we need is a sustainable way to space travel. One methode could be using solar sails. However this way of travelling is not fast enough. There is a possibility that we become sentient beings and our lives are extended.
Another interesting force in the cosmos is magnetism. Magnetism could be used to space travel making chemical propulsion unnecessary.

I agree this all sounds like science fiction at the moment. And I really doubt if humans will ever migrate. If we don't we remain on this little island earth. If that's the case are we doomed as a species?
Is space the only escape for us?

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
We are doomed no matter what, the expansion of space will slowly just create a cold void... Plus, after a million years, or more... what else is there to do here?? It'll get boring by then I'm sure.

I mean there is the possibility of discovering an infinite universe... i.e. to never know everything. That would be interesting.

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
i think we're here to learn. that's why as a dominant intelligent species we should be able to leave our home planet as soon as it would be overpopulated or destroyed. and well if the universe was in fact infinite, how could we know if it was? we couldn't discover its end could we?

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
magickmumu a dit:
become sentient beings and our lives are extended.

aren't we sentient already?

yeah there needs to be some really great advances in tech to allow us to get out of here. it's too crowded already. i don't see colonizing planets as feasible. changing the ecosystem of a whole planet? i think it's easier to build space colonies from the ground up and having them orbit somewhere not too far. maybe as years go by some people are going to stop powering the artificial gravity generators (they are not cheap!) and so some humans are going to live in zero g for their entire lives. the brain of the new generations, freed of the constant toll of balancing gravity, could experience a boost and evolve further towards neoteny, effectively branching the human race to space cherubims.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
We can find an infinite universe... That's what math is for.

And technically we already know it is infinite... There are things in our living rooms that contain infinite numbers... (... Unless you believe in string theory lolzzzzzzzz)

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
To understand string theory is pretty simple (minus the math).

What physicists want to do is the 'quantize' everything. I.E. make it so there is no sub-factors...

Example: Ahh! An atom! The smallest thing in the univers-
Oh wait whats this? A proton? A neutron? Hmm..

Ahh the proton! The smallest thing in the univers-
Oh wait whats this? Hmm quarks? Hmmm...

Ahh the quark! The smallest thing in the univers-
Oh shit. Now what! Something else is there - what is it?

Sir, lets just call it a string, and it vibrates giving information.

Basically they created strings according to math that fit it - a different vibration of a string corresponds to different energy levels and different matter.

So its basically a way to make EVERYTHING we see a product of just different 'types' of one thing: vibrating strings.

Oh and by doing this we need to make 11 new dimensions that have nothing to do with anything else. cough.

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
^i've seen that bit about the 11 dimensions several times. why 11?

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
IJesusChrist a dit:
To understand string theory is pretty simple (minus the math).

What physicists want to do is the 'quantize' everything. I.E. make it so there is no sub-factors...

Example: Ahh! An atom! The smallest thing in the univers-
Oh wait whats this? A proton? A neutron? Hmm..

Ahh the proton! The smallest thing in the univers-
Oh wait whats this? Hmm quarks? Hmmm...

Ahh the quark! The smallest thing in the univers-
Oh shit. Now what! Something else is there - what is it?

Sir, lets just call it a string, and it vibrates giving information.

Basically they created strings according to math that fit it - a different vibration of a string corresponds to different energy levels and different matter.

So its basically a way to make EVERYTHING we see a product of just different 'types' of one thing: vibrating strings.

Oh and by doing this we need to make 11 new dimensions that have nothing to do with anything else. cough.

I don't understand why the 11 dimensions.
But I do understand that string theory is limiting reality by saying it's made up of strings that vibrate.
In a way is just another form of atomism I guess.
Instead of atoms they use strings.
Or am i wrong and is there more to string theory ?

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
can you imagine more than 3 or 4 dimensions??? can you imagine what 12 dimensions could represent in order to describe time and space accurately??
it's more complex than you might imagine

Psyolopher

Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
BrainEater a dit:
can you imagine more than 3 or 4 dimensions??? can you imagine what 12 dimensions could represent in order to describe time and space accurately??
it's more complex than you might imagine
And remember, we dont really know how MANY exists....thats like the question.
And the could never really understand that, well not at this time....
We cant fully understand our own senses....amazing init! :lol:

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
There is alot to string theory, but I outlined the main points - they want to quantize everything

Quantize just means that in the end, you can have only 1 or none of something, you can't make it smaller by splitting it up.

There are 11 dimensions because there are many different types and 'flavors' of particles.

To describe one particle, a string must vibrate in a certain combination of dimensions - ( I don't know exactly why math eludes to this) so in order to account for ALL known and hypothesized particles, one needs to have 11 different dimensions that a string can vibrate in.

I.e. a String is 2 dimensional - lets say you want to represent an electron by a string - the string must vibrate then in 4 dimensions 1,2,3, and a 4th spatial.
That means that if you ever have a string that ONLY vibrates in 1,2,3 & the 4th dimension - any way that string is vibrating, the frequenc or the magnitude will represent an electron.

But that means that... we need a different way to represent different particles, so now lets simply add another dimension the string can vibrate in: a 5th! This one will represent bosons!

What about quarks? And neutrinos? 6 and 7! etc... etc...

It seems ridiculous to me. Everything after the discovery of the electron, including shrodingers "theories" are bogus to me. As well as some relativity ttheory.

Mescaline

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Jan 2007
I agree that string theory is just a bunch of bogus but you should not forget that it's just a theory.. Science tries to most accurately describe events in reality. So imagine, you discover/reason there's 'something' smaller than quarks and, well, you have to make sense of that somehow -> You make up a theory that fits your observations as much as you can. This is what has been done. It's not stating some 'ultimate' truth, it's just there untill something better comes along. I don'really see a problem in that :?