Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Help with transcripting a Terence McKenna lecture

Aukikco

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Avr 2008
I'm doing a finnish translation of Terence McKenna's lecture Psychedelics in the Age of Intelligent Machines. I'm almost done with the english transcription, but have some problems in deciphering some of the more mumbly parts.

I'll appreciate any help with this. The transcript is here http://aukikco.oletustila.net/aukikco/t ... igent.html

Problem parts are marked with (?) and (???),
(?): I have an idea of the phrase but am not sure
(???): I have no clue of the phrase

I've also marked the timecodes, for example (? 24:24) and (??? 32:35), so if you search through the file with the string "(?", you'll find everything.

All kinds of corrections welcome. I find McKenna's lectures work well in text form too, so if you help me, I'll spread the completed transcript around and everyone wins :)

Space-is-the-Place

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Sept 2008
At 6.06 there seems to be the world pilgrim,
but I don't think it makes any sence within the sentence.
Well, a bit, but not in a proper sentence.
Could be wrong though

@ 9.05 he almost says It has, but goes for it locks.
So he corrected himself there, so you got it right

9.40 is good :thumbsup:

10.58; are thrown on for grabs

11.12 found it! it's aegis! I thought in the context of the sentence it was something like guidance :D

ae·gis also e·gis
1. Protection: a child whose welfare is now under the aegis of the courts.
2. Sponsorship; patronage: a concert held under the aegis of the parents' association.
3. Guidance, direction, or control: a music program developed under the aegis of the conductor.
4. Greek Mythology The goatskin shield or breastplate of Zeus or Athena. Athena's shield carried at its center the head of Medusa.

20.21: Joseph's injuction seems to be right.
But it's a refference I do not know of
According to Wiki:
"An injunction is an equitable remedy in the form of a court order, whereby a party is required to do, or to refrain from doing, certain acts."
So maybe it has something to do with a method of investigating or a way to protect nature from some sorts of investigation.
Dunno, wild guess.

24.52: on the high season is good.
The high season refers to when the use/demand of some material/product is the highest.

26.29: Appears is good, but I think it's: It appears
But a guy laughs a bit loud through it.
He refers back to: So these machines are
But puts a sentence in between, so the sentence doesn't exactly continue as it should, but the sentence would be something like: So these machines ---human genitals comment--- appear to phase us out of this ignominious role as well as well as any other roles.

33.15: Eureka!!! upon attempt
It was so easy, but I was driving myself mad.
Took a lot of filtering and selecting a few pieces and reading the sentence for some recognition of meaning.

33.20 I havent got a fucking clue
sounds like every chianch and amelia/emilia pregotion

37.10: viscerally

44.27: tiller is right
"A tiller or till is a lever attached to a rudder post (American terminology) or rudder stock (English terminology) of a boat that provides leverage for the helmsman to turn the rudder."

45.42: genuflect is correct
it means:
"1 a: to bend the knee b: to touch the knee to the floor or ground especially in worship2: to be servilely obedient or respectful"
So in this sentence we are primitive and have to bend our knees and be respectful to the way of nature, in our manufactoring proces

48.49: it's a call
a precognitive choice

49.09: to look beyond the idols of the tribe
so to look beyond the stuff they idolise and see how it is

50.24; this sort of arcs back to the
so sort of comes back to or refers back to or brings back to

51.52; no guess, must be some old city
chataljeljuc or something, but I can't find any reference to a city with this name and i tried to write it in all kinds of ways
I've also searched on wiki for the other mentioned cities if I could find something in a region of these, but couldn't come up with anything that resembles that name. I think it must be some old site somewhere around the middle east, the others refer to sites in the middle east, but the name seems more South/Central America

53.08: litigant & advocant are both correct
"The conduct of a lawsuit is called litigation."
Everything else arrives as rumor, litigant, advocant, supposition, possibility.
so it's like rumour and defending something that's not particularly true and advocant is advocating something, so these things all add up.

54.43: no clue, sounds like ramferengi or something like it.
I've also searched for info about life in the periods the trilobites lived in, but it could be just as well a reference to some other species that died to extinction.

Space-is-the-Place

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Sept 2008
I'm going to quit now, or else I'm seriously going to kill myself

Just kidding ofcourse, heading out to the coffeeshop to get a joint and SMOKE IT.
Seriously, I dislike translating inaudible stuff
But hope to have helped a bit.

Aukikco

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Avr 2008
There's still a couple of problem parts - help appreciated!

6:00 Are these kinds of minds so different from each other ??? so that there is no bridge
54:40 no more than the trilobites or the ??? or all the rest
1:04:00 Could there be time travel a la H.G. Wells where you climb onto the ??? of the time machine
1:04:20 and then you find yourself confronting a ??? in the year of one billion AD
1:05:50 maintained in that ??? virtual reality
1:23:35 And technology developed and developed and mushrooms were ???, there was migrations...

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
[youtube]IU3idOeDNww[/youtube]

lol @ 3:13 :weedman: