Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

HPPD, anyone?

Ever have Long term (days/weeks) visual effects?

• Yes (After coming down)

Votes: 0 0,0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0,0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 100,0%

• Nombre total d'électeurs

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Was looking at some ergot family chemistry, and when I got to LSA & LSD i was looking under side effects, or just effects... and I saw one was called HPPD, I looked it up... and sure enough I'm pretty sure I had (have?) this...

Was wondering if anyone else had this? I don't seem to get it anymore, not even if I try (except a week or two ago under intense stress). But during septermber/Octoberish I would simply look at anything for any length of time over 10 seconds and it would start to 'breathe' and distort...

If any of you are having long term visual effects you should check out ...errr just google HPPD and it should be the second link.

I also got "visual snow" one time while smoking weed - scared the fucking SHIT out of me, it was like static on the television, but you could see reality through it.

but mostly for me it was just things like, expanding, contracting...

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
well, none of what you mentioned is really hppd

i always have a few lush days after taking acid. i love em. :D it's normal. happens to everyone.

and looking at objects and seeing them shift/distort is actually pretty normal, that happens to people who have never taken psychedelics. all you have to do is trance yourself out for half a minute and you will always see things shift about. i remember doing that when i was 6 y/o sitting on the toilet, or bored to tears in church, looking at the floor and seeing patterns wobble or faces everywhere :D

also, weed is a hallucinogen, I always get visual artifacts of some kind when i smoke enough of it. smoke more weed quickly (or better yet eat some) and you will start seeing patterns in that visual snow. once again it's quite normal.. i had effects like that from weed long before I ever took acid.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
This is the 5th time this has come up over the last few months . HPPD doesnt exist . What you had was focusing on the movement of your eyes . Something that happens all the time but you didnt notice untill you had had a trip . If you looked it up in wiki you would see that HPPD doesnt exist and that the storys about it have no scientific base . And that most of the people who talk about it have made a self diagnosis . The doctors that talk about it are not experts and have their "information" from the american anti drugs lobby .

The visual snow is also explainable .

Both of those things are normal and people who dont take drugs see them sometimes .

Self diagnosis / hypochondria is not a good thing .

What has the pole to do with the imaginary HPPD ?

Please dont spread anti drug propoganda .

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
its not propoganda, and I used to stare at things when I was a kid, and they'd change color or whatever, your receptors getting tired, cool. But I never had visual distortions, but hey I guess if you guys say its normal cool.

The visual snow, however - that was really fucked up, as in I couldn't see corners of objects, they just blurred through the noise.

But okie dokie - if you think its fake, it's fake. Like I said I can't remember how extreme the visualdistortions used to be but at some points I would look in the mirror and my face began to melt, I think that was the peak of after-effects from a strong dose.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
The effects you had werent fake . Your diagnosis is wrong HPPD does not exist .

What you describe as visual snow isnt visual snow . Its probably you focusing on the water in and / or on your eyeballs .

Did you have a wank in the time before you had those effects because you know wanking causes brain damage and you will go

bald and have mutant kids so the effects must come from that ..

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
GOD a dit:
The effects you had werent fake . Your diagnosis is wrong HPPD does not exist .
What you describe as visual snow isnt visual snow . Its probably you focusing on the water in and / or on your eyeballs .
Did you have a wank in the time before you had those effects because you know wanking causes brain damage and you will go
bald and have mutant kids so the effects must come from that ..

...Your comparing wacking off with psilocybin in my brain :lol: .
I have to say that visual snow is not from focusing on water in my eyes... I know what floaters are, and visual snow and floaters are not the same thing. The thing is that the visual distortions can vary in intensity, where they become noticible in broad daylight, while not concentrating... Anyways didn't know it was a touchy subject.

It could also be that I just didn't notice distortions before taking dosage, but then 'wanted' to see them after, and did. Whatever, I'll drop the subject.

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
GOD's right, HPPD is fake, but the effects you are noticing, aren't necessarliy fake. the thing is though, is IT IS NOT a mental condition like HPPD tries to explain.

it is perfectly natural, i have had the experiences you describe since i was a child, but now, since i have tripped, i have become more aware of them. it's not that they happen more frequently from tripping, but for whatever reason this breathing thing that you are sensing, becomes a more "prominent"(for lack of a better word) thing after having trips, verses, say, when you were a child and didn't know of such a thing. hope that makes sense :)

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
exactly, it's perfectly normal for the brain to see motion where there isn't any, google "illusory motion", there's a whole pile of visual stimuli that cause people to see motion where there isnt any.. and "microsaccade".. (small, quick eye movements thought to contribute possibly to illusory motion) lots of interesting research, a very new field as well

there's definitely other factors too, like how much sleep you've been getting, how much stress you've been feeling, how much weed you've been smoking, etc. and there's also the "psyching yourself out" factor to consider on top of that. i don't mean that in an insulting way, we've probably all been there at one point or another

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Hey... so a thought occured to me - These kind of illusionary motions are happening all the time - do you think lsd/psilocybin just enhance your awareness of them (Specifically during the trip)... This is interesting!

It seems to me since all of you agree to have had these - and I'm assuming most of you all see the "flowing" and "breathing" of everything while tripping on moderate doeses, these are just enchanced affects of normality?

Well, thats my conclusion anyways. Cool.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
check this out.. i posted it here a while back but it's really sweet. motion after effect. you basically look at the center of it for 30 seconds or as long as you can take it. then look away at a wall, or a table, anything with a texture on it. you'll see it swishing all over the place for about 15 seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Illusion_movie.ogg

i think that psychedelics generally enhance and alter a lot of visual processes that are always there.. but there is a certain point where it becomes more than just that.. pretty magical.. seeing your imagination unveil in front of you, or having your senses cross over and "hearing" paintings or "seeing" sounds.. or "seeing" memories when your eyes are closed.. altering perception of time. for starters anyway along with many many other effects :D

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Those illusion movies really do bring out the visual distortions of a trip, I show my sober friends those and usually they say "Oh wow I'd totally do them now" sarcastically...

I admire the sober people. :)

pyschonauticks

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
28 Fev 2009
A couple times after coming down from DXM the whole room would wave around like when I'm on shrooms, oh and last night the strangest thing happened I woke up and got all the body sensations I get on shrooms. Maybe have something to do with doing DXM two days before??

maxfreakout

Inscrit
22 Fev 2007
Yeah i had HPPD for about 2 years mainly from mushrooms. I found it was a lot more intense when i was tired and/or stoned. It eventually calmed down and now it is virtually unnoticable

maxfreakout

Inscrit
22 Fev 2007
GOD a dit:
If you looked it up in wiki you would see that HPPD doesnt exist

The wiki page says very clearly that HPPD does exist (unless you can provide a quote from it that says otherwise?)

HPPD is a disorder characterized by a continual presence of visual disturbances that are reminiscent of those generated by the ingestion of hallucinogenic substances. Previous use of hallucinogens is needed, though not sufficient, for diagnosing someone with the disorder

People who take psychedelics often experience lasting visual effects that were not there before they took the drugs, that is HPPD, it is very easy to make a self-diagnosis on that basis

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Do some research max and stop talking crap again . We`ve been through this before and i proved what i have said . You didnt prove anything exept that the diagnosis is clasifyed in an american book . I then debunked the book .

"Yeah i had HPPD for about 2 years mainly from mushrooms. I found it was a lot more intense when i was tired and/or stoned. It eventually calmed down and now it is virtually unnoticable"

So your saying that either the drug stays in the brain and causes effects for years , or that it causes brain damage or some other sort of physical damage .

You noticed visual things and you did a self diagnosis rather than do any real reaserch .

Stop spreading drug war propoganda .

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
IJesusChrist a dit:
I also got "visual snow" one time while smoking weed
Must have been some good weed then, nothing to worry about. Unless symptoms of HPPD occur when you're absolutely sober, there's nothing to worry about. Anything "triggered" by cannabis, DXM or MDMA isn't really HPPD.

maxfreakout

Inscrit
22 Fev 2007
People often experience lasting visual distortion which occurs in conjunction with psychedelic use, that is what HPPD is, so therefore it exists. The wiki article clearly says that it exists, and in fact you will not find a single source that says that it doesnt exist. The simple fact that people experience it proves that it exists

GOD a dit:
"Yeah i had HPPD for about 2 years mainly from mushrooms. I found it was a lot more intense when i was tired and/or stoned. It eventually calmed down and now it is virtually unnoticable"

So your saying that either the drug stays in the brain and causes effects for years , or that it causes brain damage or some other sort of physical damage .

No the drug definitely doesnt stay in the brain, the drug is completely metabolised within a few hours of taking it. The cause of HPPD is not some residue of the drug staying in your system, and nobody has ever said that it is.

And it has nothing to do with brain damage or any kind of physical damage, and again nobody has ever claimed that it is. Nothing is 'damaged' for HPPD to occur

Twilight

Inscrit
7 Juin 2008
If it exists then I have it as well, but on a very low level.
And I have had it even before I started with psychedelics.
So I guess it is indeed a vague term for visual things that aren't properly researched yet.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
max, it is drug war propaganda. DSM-IV is very simple and at the same time very 'helpful' to 'the great ills of society'. It is a political book with a lot of 'diseases' to make their own field of study look important. If you have the symptoms of HPPD without ever having used psychedelics, it can, I assure you, be classified as something else (psychosis, for example), so what would a substance that you took months before and long digested have anything to do with it?