Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Growing San Pedro from seed

Forkbender

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Hello all. I'm about to start growing San Pedro from seed. I have found a lot of information on the web with a lot of conflicting ideas about what's best. Even on this forum there are different interpretations.

So I got myself some cactus soil that contains organic matter, N,P,K and trace elements. Is this enough for germination or should I add something else? I've read people using pumice to make it more drainable, but I couldn't really find it at the local gardening centre. Is it necessary? When do they first require fertiliser? Do I need to get a fungicide? If so: which one?

What kind of containers should I use? The plastic ones? Or can I start in a clay pot?

I read that I should make it wet first and then cover it with glass/plastic so that it stays wet after germination you can give them fresh air now and then. They should be warm, too. Is this OK?

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
Hey Fork,

It should be enough for germination.

I'm no expert though, I only planted my seeds Sunday a week ago (10 San Pedro, 10 Peyote, 10 Peruvian).

Instead of going for the cactus soil, I decided to use a recipe from the vaults of mycotopia.net. (1/3 composted potting soil, 1/3 white sand, 1/3 vermiculite) and mix my own soil.

To counter fungi in the beginning, I sterilized the soil for an hour in the pressurecooker.

Containers don't really matter I guess, mine are all growing/sprouting in 'nasi bakjes' but I have different sizes of plastic pots ready so I can transfer them when needed.

To germinate, I use an old terrarium of which I covered the outside with black/white plastic (black outside) and put a fluorescent light in it. You want to keep humidity high and vent a few times per day after germination. Also if you use lights, you may have to provide some shade for your seedlings if they start to turn red/brown

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Dont use soil you want to grow cacti not contamination . So use perlite and sand . If you use soil you will probably have to use a fungiside and maybe something against flys and if you use sand you probably wont . The soil method is a bit quicker . Sterilising the soil might help a bit but the spores in the air will infect it .

If you have a small greenhouse for cuttings put some small pots filled with a mixture of perlite and sand in it , wet ithem a bit with a water sprayer and sprinkle the seeds on top . Then put a few pinches of sand over them . The sand shouldnt be so big that the seeds fall between it . Put the lid on and put the whole thing somewhere warm = above 26 - 32°C . Open it ocasionaly so it doesnt start to get contaminated with anything . Dont give them direct sunlight , a flourescent lamp is OK .When they get as big as a pea start to open the greenhouse more to harden them off . You should use an water soluble organic cacti fertiliser with trace elements in it ocasionaly . Not plant fertiliser . After 6 months re-pot them in bigger pots filled with perlite , small stones from a terarium shop and a little sand to fill the spaces but not to much .

zombeastie

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
31 Jan 2009
Have any popped up yet heartcore?

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I have a mini greenhouse (30 by 20 cm by 20 cm). I guess this would be perfect, as it is small and can be placed on a warm spot in my house.

My stupid mega garden centre closest to my house doesn't have perlite (or vermiculite for that matter), I'll have to shop around a bit. I don't want to waste my money in a grow shop.

I'll definitely dilute the soil with about 2 parts of sand/perlite. The soil contains 40 percent dead matter, 25 % organic matter and was created especially for cacti. Please tell me if this dilution is about correct.

I already have special cactus fertilizer for my other pet cactus (which I bought as a cutting).

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
On the subject of comercial expensive amateur soil mixture .

Why dont you try some pots with the comercial expensive amateur soil mixture and some with just sand ? Do you remember the pictures that were posted here a few weeks ago of big peyotes ? They werent in comercial expensive amateur soil mixture were they ? Have you read the posts in the cacti section ? All the people there who had had rot and fungus problems used a comercial expensive amateur soil mixture .

It beats me why people keep making themselves problems by using comercial expensive amateur soil mixture .

When i used to grow cacti i soon stoped using comercial expensive amateur soil mixtures and then the problems stoped .

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Okay. Sand and perlite vs. Soil + sand + perlite. I'll do an experiment.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Allahu akbar .

significationof?!?

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Déc 2008
How is the pressure-ccoker sterilisation done? I'll be shopping for soil this weekend, and planting my San Pedro seeds as soon as I get them!

Paracoculi

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
23 Juil 2007
I planted 60 peyote seeds on the 24th of January, just before new moon. I don't do witchcraft or anything, but I do believe the moon can have influence on plant-growth. I use this calendar (it's dutch though): http://www.koninklijkevolkstuinenkluisb ... ontact.php

40 seedlings popped up by now :D

I used the soil-mixture from CactusPlaza; 1/3 riversand, 1/3 regular potting soil and 1/3 grit (1-3mm), baked it in the oven on 180?C for 15 minutes and let it cool prior to sowing.
I have them in small plastic pots with huge drainage-holes, I keep them in plastic bags on a heating-pad in the windowsill. When the sun gets too strong I cover them with white plasic bags.

From now on it's all a bit of guessing and hoping for the best, this is as far as I ever got with cacti-seeds :p
As for me, I think I will start adding trace amounts of nutrients to the water after one or two weeks from now, by then I will also let the seedlings adjust to less humidity.

There's just so many ways of going about it, I sure don't know which way is the best. The more I search, the more different procedures I find.
Just trying to listen to plants and not worrying too much is often enough I guess :)
I gleefully await to see how it all goes! :D

Good luck everyone, and here's a pic I made last week:

LophophoraWilliamsiiseedlingslow-1.jpg

skoeip

Inscrit
19 Nov 2004
ahw what a cute bunch of baby's!

ShaktiLove

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
23 Jan 2017
Hi there!
I really enjoyed reading your post... even though I found it 8 years later.
Did you have success with your seeds? Any updated tips you can offer a beginner?

xoxo

:weed:

Paracoculi a dit:
I planted 60 peyote seeds on the 24th of January, just before new moon. I don't do witchcraft or anything, but I do believe the moon can have influence on plant-growth. I use this calendar (it's dutch though): http://www.koninklijkevolkstuinenkluisb ... ontact.php

40 seedlings popped up by now :D

I used the soil-mixture from CactusPlaza; 1/3 riversand, 1/3 regular potting soil and 1/3 grit (1-3mm), baked it in the oven on 180?C for 15 minutes and let it cool prior to sowing.
I have them in small plastic pots with huge drainage-holes, I keep them in plastic bags on a heating-pad in the windowsill. When the sun gets too strong I cover them with white plasic bags.

From now on it's all a bit of guessing and hoping for the best, this is as far as I ever got with cacti-seeds :p
As for me, I think I will start adding trace amounts of nutrients to the water after one or two weeks from now, by then I will also let the seedlings adjust to less humidity.

There's just so many ways of going about it, I sure don't know which way is the best. The more I search, the more different procedures I find.
Just trying to listen to plants and not worrying too much is often enough I guess :)
I gleefully await to see how it all goes! :D

Good luck everyone, and here's a pic I made last week:

LophophoraWilliamsiiseedlingslow-1.jpg