Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Fasting and its effects on the mind/spirit/body

xonar

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Avr 2007
A friend and I have been thinking about fasting for a week with regular meditation to see if it will help us better understand ourselves, nature, and the way of the shaman. Is there anyone experienced in this aspect? Is there any other rituals that should take place? Any specific setting?

This is kind of vague but we're just trying to get more in touch with both nature and our own selves. Thanks :p

Brewmaster

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
21 Août 2006
I haven't eaten in a week and I feel fantabulous!!!!

If you can get past the first 3 days, you're golden. After that, it's easy.

Monochromatic_Knight

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Avr 2007
Yeah, the third day is especially hard.

Just as you should read as much as you can about a drug before you put it into your body, you should also find information about fasting. What kind of fast are you going to do? The lemon cleanse? Water based? Juice based? Soup based?

Also, it's very important for you to come off the fast properly. Avoid fatty foods at first and eat light. You can find more detailed information about this online. I also made sure that I didn't have any intense stress or responsibility during the week I was fasting.

As far as the experience goes... I found the state to be rather nice. I experienced a degree of centeredness and calm. I maintain that this was a result of the mind reacting to the lower availability of energy resources. Intense emotions such as anger, frustration, etc use up energy but in most situations (other than when in a fight etc) are wasteful. When I was confronted with a situation I wouldn't get worked up about it because its counter productivity became much more salient as a result of the fasting.

Furthermore, I found myself being more aware. Thinking before I act in order to fulfill a function most efficiently. Again, I attribute this to trying to preserve energy.

I wish you many insights and a safe experience.

xonar

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Avr 2007
Thanks for your guys' advice, I plan on doing a strict water based fast. I plan on leaving the next friday alone to do a soul search of sorts. You know, just head out to some grassy/woody area away from any cities and just commune with nature (or at least try to). I don't know if I want to use any substances with me, but if I do, it will be a small amount of salvia. Hopefully if I'm sincere, it won't be long before I find my spirit guide :D

HeartCore

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Août 2004
I maintain that this was a result of the mind reacting to the lower availability of energy resources.

Another way to look at it could be that when you stop taking 'common' food for a few days, you're body becomes more clear of all the poisons that are in that food, all additives, chemicals, depending on your usual diet of course. So less energy is needed to operate the little factories that clean up usually so more power to the brain?

I don't think energy resources will be an issue because of reserves that will be used but I'm not an expert :)

Xonar have a great trip/experience !

Monochromatic_Knight

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Avr 2007
HeartCore a dit:
Another way to look at it could be that when you stop taking 'common' food for a few days, you're body becomes more clear of all the poisons that are in that food, all additives, chemicals, depending on your usual diet of course.

True, but I was lucky not to be eating much food with such chemicals in the first place. I do my best to eat healthy. Although, I do enjoy my carbohydrates and sugar, so not eating any of those will have certainly effected my energy levels.

You're right about the stored up energy in the body, but I think the transfer from using immediate resources to stored ones is a major factor in the altered state. This is why the third day is particularly difficult... it's on this day which the switch usually occurs.

I'm sure the chemicals we expose ourselves to through various foods has a degree of effect on our mood and behavior but I'd be careful to put so much weight on such reasoning at the moment. In the end it's the overall diet which will effect on you the most, as opposed to the side-effects of certain chemicals in our food.

Just my opinion though...

MelT

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
6 Mai 2007
Fasting has good effects, but it doesn't help traditional meditation (one reason why Buddha advised against it and other forms of ascetism). As a cleanser it's wonderful and the posters above are giving great advice, but in terms of it aiding say, shamatha or vipassana style meditation, it doesn't; - although extreme hunger will help induce other kinds of visions and it can be a good catalyst.

I've taken part in fasts with other meditators and we've all found the same thing, that clarity, focus, ability to reach particular states, and actual sense of connection with what we would call 'Thatness', diminshes rapidly from the time you miss your first meal. Blood sugar plays an important part in your sense of well being (and therefore meditation) and even your sanity, it's very hard to say, maintain project metta for long periods naturally once your blood sugar level drops.

For other forms, like shamanism, I'm sure it works well. Definitely worth doing as an experience though, but check with a doctor first.

MelT