Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Ecstasy takes women higher, men lower

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
DoseNation posted an excerpt from an article today, which pointed out that "Women who take ecstasy get a more euphoric drug high than men and suffer a much harder comedown in the days after."

Mental health experts say drug findings presented at an international medical conference in Melbourne today should warn women that the effects of the party pill will hit them harder.

"What we've seen from all the evidence is that the highs are higher and more intense for women," said lead researcher Dr Kelly Allott, from the University of Melbourne.

"And the low in the following days after taking the drug appears to be much lower.

"So they tend to experience the extremes of the drug experience."

Australian data shows one in five people in their 20s have tried ecstasy or MDMA, making it the third most popular drug after cannabis and amphetamines.

Dr Allott reviewed 29 studies from Australia and abroad to collate the latest evidence on how the drug affects men and women differently.

The findings from three lab studies of ecstasy users overseas suggest that women respond more strongly, with more and stronger hallucinations and euphoric feelings, she said.

In the days after they have a lower mood then men, with biological studies suggesting females may also be hit harder by the longer-term negative effects of the drug.

Women were also more at risk of a potentially fatal ecstasy-related coma.

Men were more likely to die after taking the drug, but toxicology tests showed that was probably because of higher doses and the use of several drugs at once rather than the drug itself.

Dr Allott, who has presented her research findings at the International Congress on Women's Mental Health, said it was still unclear why women felt the effects differently, but there were a few theories under investigation.

"It's possible that (the female sex hormone) estrogen increases the sensitivity to the effects of drugs such as MDMA, which act on the serotonin system affecting mood," she said.

"There may also be gender differences in brain structure, or differences in how men and women metabolise the drug in the body."

Professor Jayashri Kulkarni, director of the Monash Alfred Psychiatry Research Centre in Melbourne, said the findings, published in the journal Neuroscience and Biobehavioural Reviews, should enlighten drug takers and emergency physicians.

"We know women are more sensitive in the way they are affected by alcohol and prescription drugs, but it's very important we get that same depth of understanding around illicit substances," Prof Kulkarni said.

The article itself can be read here: The Age

Brugmansia

Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
We men, do have a higher level of testosteron, which is a prime male androgen in the body and the male sex hormone.

Anyone who does shortly research about testosteron, will notice soon enough that it's responsible for many behaviours of men that enhances the ego.

This is why the ego softening of E start at a much higher point by men. To me this seems quite logical. Since ego softening is basically the whole platform for all the effects of ecstasy.

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
Ecstasy takes women higher, men lower

I don't think "lower" would in any way be close to what are the effects of ecstasy on both men or women...

...and btw. if you're prone to depression the aftermaths of e will hit you just as hard as a man. Or maybe I just gotta be glad I never experienced the down a woman gets from e...

Alnitak

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
15 Avr 2008
Brugmansia a dit:
...This is why the ego softening of E start at a much higher point by men. To me this seems quite logical. Since ego softening is basically the whole platform for all the effects of ecstasy.

Agreed. On my first trip that was the clear "lesson" drawn from it, actually... To scape the grasp of an intensified ego for an everlasting feeling of true peace, openness and satisfaction...

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Anyone who does shortly research about testosteron, will notice soon enough that it's responsible for many behaviours of men that enhances the ego.
It's an interesting explanation, but testosteron suppression (through the use of certain pharmaceuticals) doesn't generate more enlightened awareness or behaviour. And MDMA doesn't lower testosteron levels in any way.

A few days ago I wrote somewhere "depending on your definition of ego". I believe people use the word ego for lots of different phenomena. Some are related to testosteron and male dominance, others to arrogance or pride or selfishness, yet others to the different mental constructs making up our false sense of separateness, the Ego as described by Freud, the ahamkara "I-making" of the Hindu's etc.

Which of these egos is actually dissolved by the psychedelics (in egolithic therapy), and which (parts of the ego) are dissolved by empathogens?

And: which of all these different aspects of the ego are not affected by psychedelics? Which layers of the ego are dissolved first, and which only during peak experiences?

spisshak

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
4 Fev 2009
so what would be a leg opening dose did they find out what that dose is???
for ex roofies i think the leg opening dose is 4 mg could be wrong though.
maybe trial and error will proove exactly what dose makes a woman so schmarmy she'll spread it for some 50 yr old greaseball.
just a thought.
maybe we should research in that direction? no?

Jiellen29

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
20 Oct 2010
Women who take ecstasy get higher and more intense highs than men, but they also suffer a much harder comedown in the days after, says a new research.The lead researcher of the study, Dr Kelly Allott, from the University of Melbourne, said that party pills hit women harder than men."What we've seen from all the evidence is that the highs are higher and more intense for women," News. com. au quoted Allott, as saying."And the low in the following days after taking the drug appears to be much lower. So they tend to experience the extremes of the drug experience,” Allott added.In the research, Allott reviewed 29 studies from Australia and abroad to collate the latest evidence on how the drug affects men and women differently.The findings from three lab studies of ecstasy users overseas suggest that women respond more strongly, with more and stronger hallucinations and euphoric feelings, Allott said.In the days after they have a lower mood then men, with biological studies suggesting females may also be hit harder by the longer-term negative effects of the drug. Women were also more at risk of a potentially fatal ecstasy-related coma.Men were more likely to die after taking the drug, but toxicology tests showed that was probably because of higher doses and the use of several drugs at once rather than the drug itself.Allott said it was still unclear why women felt the effects differently, but there were a few theories under investigation."It's possible that (the female sex hormone) estrogen increases the sensitivity to the effects of drugs such as MDMA, which act on the serotonin system affecting mood. There may also be gender differences in brain structure, or differences in how men and women metabolise the drug in the body,” she added.
how to treat depression
Have a great day to all!!!

Jiellen29

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
20 Oct 2010
Women who take ecstasy get higher and more intense highs than men, but they also suffer a much harder comedown in the days after, says a new research.The lead researcher of the study, Dr Kelly Allott, from the University of Melbourne, said that party pills hit women harder than men."What we've seen from all the evidence is that the highs are higher and more intense for women," News. com. au quoted Allott, as saying."And the low in the following days after taking the drug appears to be much lower. So they tend to experience the extremes of the drug experience,” Allott added.In the research, Allott reviewed 29 studies from Australia and abroad to collate the latest evidence on how the drug affects men and women differently.The findings from three lab studies of ecstasy users overseas suggest that women respond more strongly, with more and stronger hallucinations and euphoric feelings, Allott said.In the days after they have a lower mood then men, with biological studies suggesting females may also be hit harder by the longer-term negative effects of the drug. Women were also more at risk of a potentially fatal ecstasy-related coma.Men were more likely to die after taking the drug, but toxicology tests showed that was probably because of higher doses and the use of several drugs at once rather than the drug itself.Allott said it was still unclear why women felt the effects differently, but there were a few theories under investigation."It's possible that (the female sex hormone) estrogen increases the sensitivity to the effects of drugs such as MDMA, which act on the serotonin system affecting mood. There may also be gender differences in brain structure, or differences in how men and women metabolise the drug in the body,” she added.
how to treat depression
HAve a great day to all!!

wellaware

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
6 Fev 2011
It is surprising to me how people will just take this e pill without knowing all the chemicals and drug mixtures in it. I listened to a girl nonchalantly admit that there might be meth in the pill she was about to take. This horrifies me. I don't understand this mentality of chasing a high. Well...I take that back. I used to understand ( I've only tried e once, and once was enough) and then I found San Pedro.

Crimzen

Inscrit
16 Oct 2008
well i mean considering the size of an eccy the amount of meth would be fairly minimal..

i agree though, no one but the cook truly knows exactly whats in the pills s/he makes
my friends was saying a few weeks ago that he was with a girl who was pilling (e) and she ignorantly said that the pill she took had PCP in it and that she hates when people do that....
my friend whos...."experienced"....in such matters realized she didnt know wtf she was on about
first of all the cook would be spending more money than they would be making and secondly (more importantly) she wasnt displaying any signs of PCP usage whatsoever
i believe she meant BZP