Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Chronic Paresthesia???

sozopimpo

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
8 Déc 2006
Ok, the past 6 months I've been really getting into salvia. Started off knowing nothing about it, got ripped off when I bought the leaves (dont waste your time with the leaves), then I moved up to 10x. Used 10x for awhile, had some amazing trips. And recently I've moved up to 20x and WOW, alot more stronger, and (to me) lasts alittle longer than the 10x (especially when smoking weed with it, yes, to me is has a CRAZY effect when taking both). But one thing I cant get straight is the symptom I get. Anytime I smoke the 10x, or the 20x, and it doesn't matter what shop or brand of salvia it is, I ALWAYS get the symptom of paresthesia, or having my limbs fall asleep-- I mean, all of them, my whole body goes to sleep. Every trip I have always revolves around and is based on the tingly-prickly feeling I get, like laying on a cactus bed. And I always get cold and clammy. I was reading up on what happens when your limbs fall asleep...

Wikipedia a dit:
Paresthesia or paraesthesia (paraesthesia in British English) is a sensation of tingling, pricking, or numbness of a person's skin with no apparent long-term physical effect, more generally known as the feeling of pins and needles or of a limb being "asleep".

Chronic paresthesia indicates a problem with the functioning of nerve cells, or neurons. This malfunction, which is especially common in older individuals, is often the result of poor circulation in the limbs (such as in peripheral vascular disease), or may be caused by atherosclerosis—the build up of plaque on artery walls. Without a proper supply of blood and nutrients, nerve cells can no longer adequately send signals to the brain. Because of this, paresthesia is also a symptom of vitamin deficiency and malnutrition, as well as metabolic disorders like diabetes and hypothyroidism.

Irritation to the nerve can also come from inflammation to the surrounding tissue. Joint conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome are common sources of paresthesia.

Another cause of paresthesia, however, may be direct damage to the nerves themselves, or neuropathy, which can stem from injury or infection such as Lyme disease, or which may be indicative of a current neurological disorder. Chronic paresthesia can sometimes be symptomatic of serious conditions, such as a transient ischemic attack, a brain tumor, motor neurone disease, or autoimmune disorders like multiple sclerosis or lupus erythematosus. A diagnostic evaluation by a doctor is necessary to rule these out.

Paresthesiae of the mouth, hands, and feet are common, transient symptoms of the related conditions of hyperventilation syndrome and panic attacks.

And salvia is a dissociative hallucinogen...

Wikipedia a dit:
A dissociative is a drug which reduces (or blocks) signals to the conscious mind from other parts of the brain, typically (but not necessarily, or limited to) the physical senses. Such a state of sensory deprivation can facilitate self exploration, hallucinations, and dreamlike states of mind which may resemble some psychedelic mindstates.

So its all coming together now, and I think the reason for my full body sleeping symptom is because when the salvia blocks signals to my brain, its probably blocking nerve signals as well and making my nerves freak out. I don't know if this can be dangerous because they say constant or long periods of Paresthesia can cause damage to nerves and, well, that wouldn't be too great would it? :(

Anyways, I just wanted to share this with someone because it's been bugging me, so I came here, was also wondering if anyone else experiences limbs or their whole body falling asleep when smoking salvia. And on a final note, salvia has to be my favorite drug, I have never experienced something so potent and amazing as salvia.

Maru

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Sept 2006
I had similar concern but about a limited paresthesia lasting several hours after the trip. It was limited to the mouth and it disapear after a while anyway.
Does your paresthesia last longer than the trip (say more than one hour) ?
Anyway your symptoms seems 'classic' Salvia symptoms.
I also agree that the mix with pot may be very interresting, it makes the trip lasting much longer and slower.

But nobody knows what are the effects of smoking salvia on the long run :? Maybe it is very carcinogenic ? Who knows... I can say that Salvia smoke generate a lot of tar compare to other herbs, but of course smoking extracts leads to smoke very few amount of material.

sozopimpo

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
8 Déc 2006
No, when I get my numbness and prickly feelings all over my body, it only happens when I'm tripping. When I come back to reality, my body wakes back up. But if I'm standing up and moving a certain limb before I start tripping, that limb wont go to sleep unless I stop moving it for a little while. Like one time (with the 10x), me and my friend took our hits (and ate an additional pinch to make it last longer) and immediately started walking back to my room from the outside, because we have had some bad trips out in the dark. When my legs were moving (barely, it was my vision preventing me from walking, not the numbness) I was able to make it to my porch where I sat down next to my floor level window. I started tripping I was on a sail boat, and I thought my window was leading to the lower deck of the boat, and when I tried to go in, my legs were all the way asleep already and tingling, and I thought I was standing up when I was really knocking my legs against the side of the house while on my knees (the window is about 1 foot above the floor level). But after I was done tripping and I came back to my senses, the numbness and the tingling was gone and I was fine. I try not to lay down, because if I start tripping when I'm not moving at all, my whole body falls asleep. One time I thought I was rolling in the snow and the cold was giving me a cold-burny like feelings, which was the tingling. And then I thought I was covered in ants, so the whole paralyzed body experience kinda sucks, depends on what I'm tripping about.

Brewmaster

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
21 Août 2006
Yeah, I think most everyone gets the "tinglies" in some capacity or another. I don't think that it's going to cause any damage to your nerve endings or anything, it's like you said (or quoted), the signals are just being denied a pathway to the brain, making you think/ feel your limbs are numb or asleep.

Maru

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Sept 2006
I try not to lay down, because if I start tripping when I'm not moving at all, my whole body falls asleep

Ah ok, don't worry, it is quite normal and I doubt it is harmfull.
I may even have that feelings by just making a deep relaxation.
I would suggest you to learn deep relaxation so you can get comfortable with that feelings and lay down instead of moving while tripping which can be somehow dangerous.

anze

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
19 Mar 2006
When you sleep/dream your body is turned off, so you dont hurt yourself when you re beating a dragon in a dream :) When you wake, then your body is 'turned on'- If not, there is a term "Sleep paralysis"(smth like that :eek: ). Well anyway i would visit 'open minded' doctor if i were you.:wink:

On the other hand, you can be 100% sure you wont hurt yourself when experimenting if you cant move :lol: