Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Bulk psilocybin/psilocin producting via truffles (PICS)

overunity33

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
23 Déc 2009
You guys want psilocybin/psilocin but know growing mushrooms is a pain in the ass? This method is so simple and cheap im surprised SWIM hasn't seen more about it. There are certain strains of Psilocybe mushrooms that produce scelortia or truffles that contain a large amount of alkaloids. The great thing about these, is the process can all be done inside of quart jars, no need for a specific environment, humidity, light, clean air exchange, etc. Also there's nothing sketchy about a cardboard box full of jars, easy to hide, easy to store. The startup cost is very low and a lot of the materials can be reused. Just clean your jars and buy more grain.

The advantage is the simplicity. No large tubs, humidifiers, lighting, pasteurization, casing, misting or fanning. Anyone that has grown fruitbodies in bulk will tell you that making jars is the easiest part. By the time you are growing 100's of doses of fruit-bodies, you will have accumulated a semi-permanent mushroom "lab" in your house. The alphabet soup loves anything having to do with "labs", looks great in the news. I also like that fact that its so portable, you can have enough jars in the trunk of your car for 500 doses. SWIM once had a security problem and needed to move his setup STAT. A few hours and many nerve wrecking car trips later he started looking for a better way to do things.

Sure you can grow fruit-bodies directly off grain but you will not yield the 3-5 doses over the course of three flushes (if you're lucky) in a quart jar that you would with truffles. Also many people use Brown rice flour + vermiculite as a medium if they plan on growing fruit-bodies directly out of the jar/PfTek style, at this scale the brown rice flour would get expensive. Rye grass seed/Rye berries are sold dirt cheap.

3 months seems like a long time but comparatively its not so bad.

If you were to do a bulk grow by the book the time-line would look like this:
Grain jars colonizing(3 weeks)->Bulk substrate colonizing(1 week)->Pinning to start(1 week)->First flush, harvest(1 week)->Second flush, harvest(1 week)->Third flush, harvest (1 week)=2 months

You could harvest the truffles at 2 months no problem, I just wait an extra one for a higher yield.

Brass tacks:

Each jar will yield 3-5 large doses (equivalent to an 8th of normal dried mushrooms) in 3 months after inoculation. The average yield is about 65g wet scelortia per jar.

Supplies:

Psilocybe galindoi spore syringe (Psilocybe galindoi is the tits - Psilocybe mexicana or Psilocybe tampanensis work too)

Small propane torch (lighter or alcohol lamp works)

Disposable rubber gloves

Isopropyl alcohol

Dry mix of 50% light malt+50% dextrose (brewing and healthfood stores accordingly)

Dry rye seed or rye berries with no additives (Feed store, kinda expensive at the hardware store)

5 gallon bucket with snug lid (orange Home Depot buckets)

2ftx2ft piece of fiberglass window screen

12 pack boxes of wide mouth quart jars with rings and lids. (Grocery store, seasonal at walmart)

12-60cc syringe with a 18 gauge or thicker needle. (old spore syringe, ink refill needle on ebay)

TyVek sheets (large free Priority/Express mailing envelopes, thanks for everything USPS)

Silicon (clear preferable, white works)

Old school Presto 12q canner - (most bang for you buck, holds 7 quart jars perfectly, don't get anything fancier or higher capacity, you pay exponentially more per quart jar capacity after around 12quarts. Ebay and consider ordering a replacement seal just to be safe)

Preparing liquid culture:

1) Make a dry mix of 50% light malt+50% dextrose. (brewing and healthfood stores accordingly)

2) Make a 3% mixture of this mixture and water. 3g malt/dex to 100g(ml) water, boil and filter through coffee filter.

3) Fill each wide mouthed quart jar with 200-400ml of this mixture.

4) Poke a wood nail sized hole on the edge of the jar lid.

5) Cut a square of Tyvek to fit generously over the entire jar lid.

6) Place Lid, TyVek then carefully screw on ring.

7) Put a blob of silicon on the Tyvek, over the hole in the jar lid, this will be the self-sealing needle port as well as a filtered air hole. Don't turn the ring after this step or you will misalign the hole and the silicon.

8) Cover in foil and pressure cook for 15 minutes, start counting once you hit 15psi.

Inoculating liquid culture:

1) Put on gloves, remove foil and disinfect jar tops with an alcohol soaked paper towel.

2) Shake the spore syringe, remove needle cover, heat with propane torch for a second then fold an alcohol soaked paper towel over the needle. (You can inject with a little liquid culture from previous cultures to make more)

3) Working carefully plunge the needle into the silicon blobs and inject about 1cc of solution into the jar, pull needle out quickly covering it with an alcohol soaked paper towel.

4) Repeat this process for all the jars you have, flaming the needle after every 2nd or 3rd jar.

5) Wait a few weeks, swirling every few days, never allowing the nutrient solution to wet the Tyvek.

6) The mycelium will grow in the solution and should look like small cotton balls floating around. Watch out for contaminations at this point, signs will be heavy films ontop, colors other then white.

Preparing the grains:

1) For every quart jar you have, add half that volume in seed to the 5gallon bucket.

2) Cover this a few inches of water and stir it around.

3) Put the fiberglass screen on top of the bucket and seal the lid down on top of it.

4) Turn the bucket over to drain the water.

5) Repeat steps 2-4 until the water runs fairly clear.

6) Cover the dry seed with about 5 inches of water, add a few pots of strong coffee (Increases productivity for these guys too!)

7) Let sit for 24-48 hours, turn the bucket over and let it drain until a it drips every few seconds or so.

Preparing the jars:

1) Using a plastic cup load the jars with the hydrated grain about 3/4 of the way up.

2) Clean the seed off the top and sides of the jar.

3) Prepare lids like above.

4) Pressure cook at 15psi for about 90 minutes (Set an egg timer and mark the water level with a scratch on the inside in case it runs dry or has way more water left over, just so you know next time)

5) Let the pressure cooker drop to 0psi, take the jars out while still hot with oven mitts and shake the hell out of them (this way the grains don't all stick together and mycelium grows faster)

Inoculating the jars:

1) Using a sterilized, empty needle and proper needle technique from above, suck up liquid culture from a colonized jar. (Suck up boiling water then flame the tip to sterilize an old needle)

2) Inject the grain jars with 1-2cc's of this liquid culture, while flaming the needle every 2nd or 3rd jar.

Storing:

These jars don't need any specific environment to flourish. 78F is about the best temperature you can keep them. Just keep it between 70F and 85F. Also, if you have a lot of these things stored together they produce their own heat through their metabolism, especially if you have a few 12 packs in a cardboard box. It doesn't matter if they are in the dark or not, a little bit of light is said to promote growth.

Harvesting:

This is the bitch of it. Open the jars one by one and scrape out the grains with a spoon. A good thing to dump them in is the cardboard boxes the jars came in. Pick out the big truffles and separate them, then break apart the grains and smaller truffles by rubbing them in your hands. Once you have a box of nice truffles and a shitload of grain with smaller pebble sized truffles its time to bust out the electric drill. Put in a 1/2" or so bit and drill a ton of holes all over the bottom and lower sides of your 5 gallon bucket. Place in a trash bag and pour your grains in the bucket. Shake the absolute hell out of this and enjoy your workout. The grains will fall through the holes leaving the small truffles behind in the bucket.

What now?:

Well my recommendation would be to take all these truffles while wet and put them through a solid, high powered juicer, the kind that can handle wheat-grass. Mix the pulp back in with the juice and do an extraction. Or you can just eat them/store them in the fridge as is. You can dry these things but they get rock hard, and you have to rehydrate them before eating. Just don't use heat to dry these bad boys, SWIM destroyed 3 kilos of these things once by being impatient and drying them in the attic in the deep southern summer heat.

L

lexaken

Invité
I've always wanted to try this method out (sclerotia), I think I'll give it a try.

Do you have any good links for extraction? Also have you ever tried using these in chocolates or other recipes?

peach

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Nov 2008
Truffles are my favorite as well, and I'm equally surprised by how many people choose fruiting over truffling. As you say, the latter doesn't care if you leave it in the bag or jar and forget about it. In fact, forgetting about it for a few months is the best thing you can do. AND whilst it's in the jar it's immune to contamination, since it's living in a nice, sterile environment. 3kg.... shit, boy! I remember reading how things like truffles can last weeks in the fridge. I tried that when one of my friends asked to have some with me. I bought them fresh and immediately put them in the fridge. He kept going on about having reasons why he couldn't take them until he braved up and tried them two weeks later. They were no where even close to the strength they would have had fresh. If you were producing that much, maybe you could acylate it to that powdered form everyone's going on about.

overunity33

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
23 Déc 2009
If you were producing that much, maybe you could acylate it to that powdered form everyone's going on about.
Interesting... you got any more info about this?

Shamanita

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
peach a dit:
Truffles are my favorite as well, and I'm equally surprised by how many people choose fruiting over truffling. As you say, the latter doesn't care if you leave it in the bag or jar and forget about it. In fact, forgetting about it for a few months is the best thing you can do. AND whilst it's in the jar it's immune to contamination, since it's living in a nice, sterile environment. 3kg.... shit, boy! I remember reading how things like truffles can last weeks in the fridge. I tried that when one of my friends asked to have some with me. I bought them fresh and immediately put them in the fridge. He kept going on about having reasons why he couldn't take them until he braved up and tried them two weeks later. They were no where even close to the strength they would have had fresh. If you were producing that much, maybe you could acylate it to that powdered form everyone's going on about.

lol, thats psychedelic
you didn't do this all letter by letter did you?

peach

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Nov 2008
There's a thread on the shroomery all about producing the calcium salt;

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=nz

I haven't been able to find much about doing it, other than what looks like an old method involving benzene and catalysts. The wiki suggests it can be done from psilocin under strong acidic conditions. Which I'm guessing will probably be produced by something like strong acetic acid. A lot of the posts I've seen have been related to turning it back into the hydroxy. :p

To produce an ester by the well known Fischer method, you react an alcohol with a carboxylic acid. The acetic acid would be your carboxylic and the -OH group on the psilocin may function as your alcohol. And no, I didn't do it letter by letter. :D

spisshak

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
4 Fev 2009
having little knowledge of mushrooms in general one would have to extract the pscilocybin/psilocin from the mycelium and "truffles"
the reason these alkaloids degrade is due to an enzyme present in the fungus called laccase

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laccase

this oxidizes the phenol present to a quinone.

so basically if one were to perform the crude extraction method vis a vis albert hoffman (may he rest in peace)
where the dried material is first soaked in chloroform and filtered, followed by acetone and filtered, finally extrated into methanol and the solvent evaporated to give crude but highly concentrated pscilocin/pscilocybin mixture it is likely very little of this enzyme is present in the material.
this would make any chemical manipulation unessecary and avoid possible chemical/mechanical losses from the esterification.
the laccase in pscilocybin is what causes the blueing when the flesh is bruised.
it's a visible reaction.

peach

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Nov 2008
Again, spisshak comes through with some rarely discussed information. :wink: