Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Best way to store and prepare mushrooms w/o potency loss

lysergamideman

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Juin 2011
This is the best way I have found to store or prepare psilocybin mushrooms.
go buy pure 100% lemon juice, get a big jug (I use a gallon jug) put all your mushrooms in it add the bottle of lemon juice (enough to cover all the shrooms, I usually find a large bottle of lemon juice once mushrooms are added is enough to make a gallon of shroom lemonade) freeze it , by freezing it you cause the cell membranes in the mushroom to burst releasing all the active into the juice. The lemon juices citric acid preserves the psilocin & the psilocybin, which when you dry mushrooms you totally loose psilocin which degrades there strength significantly. Also the strong citric acid of lemon juice somehow makes the actives in the mushroom more readily bioavailable to you, (Hey I didnt believe it when I first heard about it either , but its true!) But follow this method and all you should need for a really strong trip is about 1 measuring cup full (depending on how many mushrooms you have put in the jug). But this DOES make them much stronger and you get 100% of there strength at least, or more, ( I know some of you are saying how can u get more than 100% of there strength, well by this im saying that it causes a much stronger effect than you would have if taking the same amount of mushrooms eaten fresh or made into tea) very simple method just throw em in jug , add juice freeze, then when you want to drink some, as it defrosts shake the jug vigorously as it melts continue to shake it every so often until its totally defrosted when by the time it is total liquid you will be left with a shroom smoothie all the mushroom material with be broken down to a fine pulp easily drinkable with no large chunks quite smooth and very tasty, no sugar is needed, but you can add some if you prefer.

If anyone trys it let me know whatchya thunk ov it. Peace.

(I know i posted this in another thread but i thought it would be a good idea to make it into its own thread so other who might not have seen it can find it easier.)

HeartCore

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Août 2004
It's a cool method but not the best way.

If you dry shrooms cracker dry and then package them airtight and put them in a (deep) freezer, potency stays good for years. I've personally had them between 3 and 4 years old without noticeable loss of potency.

This is arguably the best way to store them long term.

lysergamideman

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Juin 2011
HeartCore a dit:

If you dry shrooms cracker dry and then package them airtight and put them in a (deep) freezer, potency stays good for years. I've personally had them between 3 and 4 years old without noticeable loss of potency.

This is arguably the best way to store them long term.

Most shrooms contain psilocin and psilocybin, psilocybin quickly deteriorates in oxygen, so drying them out your loosing the psilocin , so unless you are talking about a strain or mushrooms that contains psilocybin only (which is rare & unlikely) there are experiencing some potency loss. Ya if you want a super long term storage that way is best. My method is more intended for a short term (months) and to get the maximum effect. The method described increases the bioavailability of the actives making for a much stronger efffect than if the same amount was used in any other methods.

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
Most shrooms contain psilocin and psilocybin, psilocybin quickly deteriorates in oxygen, so drying them out your loosing the psilocin ,

You are not loosing 'the' psilocin. You will loose some of both, but it's negligible.

You won't experience potency loss because the loss is so small, you won't feel it.

Ya if you want a super long term storage that way is best. My method is more intended for a short term (months) and to get the maximum effect. The method described increases the bioavailability of the actives making for a much stronger efffect than if the same amount was used in any other methods.

Super long? Even for a year its one of the best methods. And very convenient to store etc...

And much stronger effect is just not true, regardless of your subjective experience ;)

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
if someone were to reconstitute the dried mushrooms in lemon juice and do as you said, or even just simply take the mushrooms with lemon juice, you would notice the same effects. the amped up effects, if any, are going to be from the acid in the juice working together with the acid in your stomache, basically, speeding up digestion. there is no evidence that shows that lemon juice works in any other way to increase effects or preserve potency, unless you have some research to share with us. i think that the freezing of mushrooms in a liquid before ingestion might be beneficial in speeding up digestion as well, since part of the job is already done, but i believe that any liquid could be of use for this.

psilocin is not a substance that makes one trip. let me explain. when one consumes mushrooms, psilocybin (along with psilocin) enters the bloodstream. when psilocybin attaches to the receptor sites and then finally "breaks down" (rather it is converted) into psilocin, the body excretes it as waste. psilocin is the metabolite of psilocybin, it is its own substance, but psilocin is what is leftover after the body metabolizes, or breaks down, psilocybin. but this is not limited to "the body". the mushrooms have other living organisms on them metabolizing psylocybin into psilocin as well, and while this may not be the only factor, as im sure the mushroom has some use for these substances as well, it certainly explains at least partially why psilocybin and psilocin are both present in a mushroom at the time of picking. hope that helps a bit

Jason Drakes

Banni
Inscrit
29 Août 2011
Thanks for sharing information. I heard that mushroom can also be stored like potatoes. Potatoes can be stored at 4 C or -18 C without losing any nutrient.

S

susancollins

Invité
The best way to store and prepare mushrooms?
Fresh mushrooms have a sponge-like density that either absorbs moisture or sweats it out to become slimy in storage, so it is important to keep them dry. Wrap mushrooms in kitchen paper and store in a greaseproof paper bag, brown paper bag or sealed plastic container in the salad drawer.

Washing mushrooms impairs their texture and peeling diminishes their flavour: there is no need to do either. Brush off any surface grit or growing medium with some kitchen paper if necessary.

Wild and cultivated:
Wild mushrooms are a rare treat. Although they can always be substituted for other mushrooms in recipes, they are best when simply fried in bacon fat with shallots, or in olive oil with garlic.

Button mushrooms make dainty garnishes and have a firm texture that is good thinly sliced and served raw or marinated in salads, however, they can also look attractive when cooked whole in stews.

Cooking Tips and Techniques Mushrooms: How to store and prepare, the difference between wild and cultivated MushroomsLarge field mushrooms have a much fuller flavour that makes them the best choice for a breakfast fry-up, or to use in meaty stews or creamy sauces as in the paprika-spiced Hungarian recipe.

This can be served on toast as a snack for four, or with rice as a vegetarian supper dish for two, or as a vegetable accompaniment to some plainly grilled meat or fish.

Mushroom paprika
Serves: 4
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes

1 large, sweet onion, finely chopped
A good pinch of dried thyme, optional
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons paprika
250g (9 oz) field or large cultivated mushrooms, sliced Salt
300 ml (10 fl oz) soured cream or Greek yoghurt

1. Fry the onion, with the dried thyme if using, gently in the oil over a very low heat for at least 10 minutes or until the onion is soft and golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in the paprika, sliced mushrooms and salt. Add 200 ml (7 fl oz) of water.

2. Raise the heat a little and bring the sauce to the boil. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms collapse, releasing their liquor.

3. Remove the lid, raise the heat higher still and cook the mushrooms for around 5-6 minutes, shaking the pan regularly (stirring would break up the mushrooms), until the sauce is thick and sticky.

4. Carefully stir in the soured cream or yoghurt. Taste, season, then spoon the mushrooms over hot toast.

Home drying
You can dry mushrooms and they are a useful addition to the store cupboard. To dry your own, place the mushrooms on racks in a very low oven for several hours or overnight. Very large, fleshy mushrooms can be sliced before drying.

The dried mushrooms are ready for storage when they are dry but still just pliable rather than crisp. If stored in airtight containers, the dried mushrooms can be kept and used until the next picking season.

Cooking from dried
Dried mushrooms should be reconstituted before use: soak them in warm water, perhaps with a splash of sherry or wine in it, for up to 20 minutes depending on their size, then use in stews, risottos or pasta sauces.The liquid in which they were reconstituted can be incorporated into sauces and stock.

Psychedelic Eric

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
20 Avr 2012
Might not be what the purists want but its a fun little experiment that gives great results

1 Dry shrooms to dust
2 Mix with pure alcohol then strain off liquid - better still run through a soxlet extractor under vacuum
3 Seperate liquid from solid by straining
4 Reduce liquid to increase concentration iether by warmth DO NOT HEAT or better still use a vacuum
5 Put concentrated liqour into freezer overnight
6 In morning psilocybin and psilocyn will precipitate around the inside of the container
7 Residue can be purified by dissolving again in pure alcohol then concentrating and precipitating again
8 Crystals can be dried out but will deteriate if not used quickly better to leave as stong concentrate in fridge/freezer
9 25mg of crystal will provide a beautiful, clean experience

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
I also think drying, vacumizing and deep freezing is the best method for long term storage. Drying mushrooms doesn't take long when you use a fan, and they really don't lose much potency in the process of drying.
Of course extremely fresh mushrooms right out of the grow box are awesome - but how often will you be able to eat them that fresh? I have to work and stuff and when I have time to trip, it almost never coincides with a fresh batch being just ready.

When you freeze the dried shrooms it is very important that no moisture will get to the shrooms. For that reason I bought a good vacumizing machine that seals the shrooms airtight in special, thick foil. It's perfect for deep freezing (that's what the machine was made for: vacumize foods for deep freezing).

I recently took a batch of these frozen, dried shrooms that were 9 months old - and there was no difference to freshly dried shrooms. Perfect, at last something that works! :)

B

blogs

Invité
g.gif

Dr. Pot

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
25 Août 2012
My favorite way? Drying them as much as possible, packing them in a pickle jar (or any suitable glass jar with a metal lid), and then tossing in a chemical hand warmer. Chemical hand warmers are made of powdered iron, and are nontoxic. It will quickly scavenge all the oxygen in the jar, forming iron oxide in the process, to the point where the button seal will go down, creating a partial vacuum. They last pretty much forever this way. Just, when you open the jar, don't leave it open very long, or the hand warmer will get used up. This effectively prevents any oxidation of the psylocybin, and I haven't seen any degradation of the mushrooms when stored in this manner.

Matthalamew

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
22 Août 2012
I think Dr.420 has again enlighten us. I'll be adding that hand warmer technique to my future storage goals.
Here are two tips that will be of value:
1) Before drying your mushies put them in a ziplock bag and place them in your fridge for 1-2 weeks. This will cause them to turn exceptionally blue as they produce more and more active ingredient (I may have over done these -but they worked wonders!)
This is not imaginary at all - I'll attach some images of the effect of a 2 weeks in the fridge. You want to check them though - make sure to take them out before they get slimy.
2) An excellent drying technique is the put Damprid pellets in a container at the bottom of a pale - then place a screen in the bucket/pale on which your mushies rest - put the lid on for a week - dry as soda crackers! - place'm in the freeze or a pickle jar with hand warmer.
Cheers!
Voir la pièce jointe 7789
The aged cubies are on the right and are about 1.5 times as potent.

st0ned ¤ crazy

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
29 Août 2012
^^^actually psilocin is what attaches to your receptors and makes you trip so its definitely active..... Psilocybin is dephosphorylated into psilocin in the body and the psilocin is what attaches to your receptors. Look under the chemistry section here at erowid Erowid Psilocybin Mushroom Vault : Psilocybe Mushroom FAQ And I always used to just dry my shrooms all the way in a dehydrator with low/no heat, then vacuum sealed them up with a packet or 2 of silica gel inside, and threw them in a drawer or the freezer. Never had any problems. Go to a store that sells new shoes and reach inside a pair and you should find a couple packs. The lemon juice definitely makes shrooms feel stronger too. It extracts the goodies out so they hit you all at once instead of having to wait for your stomach to break them down. Ophiuchus is right its only because it speeds up the digestion. Its like swallowing a pill whole vs crushing it up and parachuting it. It lasts a little bit shorter that way but has a higher peak. And bluing doesn't make shrooms any stronger! Its actually the opposite.... Read here for storage tips Erowid Mushroom Vaults : Cultivation Tips "STORAGE AND METHODS OF INGESTION:Avoid crushing fresh mushrooms before storing them. The blue staining that is common in psychedelic mushrooms is evidence of oxidation--meaning that the active ingredients (psilocin and psilocybin) are being oxidized, too--rendering the 'shrooms inactive. While refrigeration is recommended, freezing fresh mushrooms should be avoided, since the expansion of the freezing water in the cells ruptures the cell walls and thus opens them up for oxidation. Mushrooms that were frozen while fresh may be an attractive blue color, but they are inactive..."

Matthalamew

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
22 Août 2012
I agree on all points but one - the idea that the bluing reaction in the various species of Psilocybin mushrooms -has no relationship to potency. Not only have I done blind studies where friends have tried regular cubensis and then tried my refrigeration technique improved cubensis - with drop jaw results. At some level I believe it is (I could be mistaken) common knowledge that the more potent species - the Cyans and the Azurs commonly have more blue and or a darker blue even blue-black when they show staining.
While I agree that this is oxidation - it also indicates that the bluing species or individual mushroom(s) have more surface area containing psilocybin oxidizing to psilocin = more potent. Even when you pinch a shroom some turn bluer while others don't show as much...
Absolutely agree about the powdered arguement - the dust of 7 grams is much more like a rocket ship taking off than a smoothy of blended cubensis - sort of scary but exhilarating too. Another interesting "fact" - since we are working to establish truths - is that the aborts when collected are extremely extremely potent. 7 grams of these is like 10-13 regular. Perhaps it is with aborts as it is with scorpions - 'the little ones are more potent' - only cubensis will only mimic a near death (and rebirth) exp...

Matthalamew

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
22 Août 2012
I'll take plausibility when it comes to pressing or intentionally busing a psilocybin mushroom - I hardly ever do this though except when doing field research. Thinking more along the lines of the natural state - ie you just find a patch or pick a flush and the ones that are bluer tend to be more potent. Take for example the average division of a bag of caps and stems - those stems with the larger blue streaks are suspect to be more potent. Which brings up another little discussed element - the question of caps or stems being more potent. I've heard it said both ways but then I think I've seen studies that show caps are more potent. This makes sense from a survival perspective. The spores are in the caps so the caps should be more protected than the stems. Note that the veil itself works to stop bugs from easily climbing up and accessing the gills. Hum... It's almost as much a stump-er as the old Vitim C makes 'for a more colorful trip.' Maybe the ascorbic acid could act (like stomach acid) to induce a sour stomach and cause greater absorption of the psilocin - and hence a more intense effect. Maybe... I know the powdered and abort mushies stronger effects are real enough (though glad to get your conformation Ophiuchus)- the comparison to chewing a pill works well for why powdered hits faster and harder - if not some what shorter. Anyway interesting stuff - looking forward to the reality.
Voir la pièce jointe 7872

st0ned ¤ crazy

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
29 Août 2012
I've had shrooms that wouldn't blue even if you stomped on em and I assure you the magic was still there! Shrooms all have psilocybin and/or psilocin in them at different ratios. Its generally believed that its the psilocin in shrooms that causes the blue bruising. Either way the bluing is just an indication that there's at least *one* of those chemicals in them, so that doesn't give any clue as to how much of the other chemical is present. And there's also other mushrooms that bruise blue and are completely inactive or even sometimes poisonous! (I know were only talking about the good mushrooms but just had to point that out) There's too many things to factor in when it comes to bruising to say that bluer is always better. It may prove that they have some goodies in there, or it may not. Its just not enough to say that one is better than the other simply based on color. Also I've seen shrooms that bruised black...not blue at all... Not that that's relevant or anything, I just found it unusual. And yyeeeaaa buddy~aborts are the shyt :twisted:

Matthalamew

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
22 Août 2012
I hear you - I've had "shrooms" that weren't even psilocybin and I tripped my nards off (store mushrooms with liquid acid as it turned out) and I've seen blue stainers like Satan's Bolet that would make you hurl - but I've never seen a bluing mushroom which had gills (not sponge) that was definately not a Psilocybin containing mushroom. - Not that I ate those shrooms either... Too risky. But in general, in general it is widely held that "if it doesn't blue don't bother..." So as blue as a smurf would be better in general than lacking in blue color. I've seen the black in the Cyan species - but the Galarena also show black and that is a scary thing unless you know your mushrooms or you take a spore print.