Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Animation, how is it done ?

• Auteur de la discussion Guest
  • Date de début
G

Invité
As I'm definately trying to learn new creative skills, I was wondering if someone here was into this kind of trippy animation you see at parties/on some videoclips like this one
(Thanks alot to whoever posted it in the first place, both the video and the music are wonderful)

How is it done ? Do you need programmation skills (OpenGL, DirectX and stuff), or do you only need a specific program ?

I'm especially interested into creating animated fractal, and with more experience, programming a music influenced visualisation...

Thanks to anyone who'll share the knowledge ;)

ararat

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
most of the video (afair, youtube works only sporadically in the last time.) is made using 3D-software, with postprocessing in an application like adobe after effects or premiere.
you "only" need this program and, as far as I know, no programing skills. but learning how to use the program is enough work.
the other stuff, the beginning for example, are (I guess you already figuered ;) ) real videos.
to get the effect of the mountains being small, he/she/they used a special lens, which blurs the upper and lower part (or they did this using post-processing, both is possible)

if it comes to animating fractals, I can show you around in msn if you want.
the first thing to do is getting apophysis, which is the fractal-generator of choice if it comes to trippy animated stuff.
this was my first attempt in animating fractals: http://www.vimeo.com/848580
~30 seconds of video, 16 hours of rendering ;)

G

Invité
Nice stuff ! I'll get Apophysis asap, saw that there are some tutorials on the website, I'll read then first before harassing you :D

Regarding 3D software, are they all equal when it comes to animation ? Is there a specific one you'd recommend ?

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
I'm not experienced with 3D stuff, I once took a look at cinema 4d, but accomplished nothing, so I let it be :p

be sure to browse the tutorials section at deviantart. some nice stuff in there

G

Invité
Damn, it's so easy to get nice results that I feel like I'm cheating :D

Still, much to learn if I want to get better results ! Just great !

First creations :

Thanks misery, you're a great guy !

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
I once thought about that too. my theory is that he made several renders of different, um, stuff with the same camera movement, and layered them together. to get the flashy stuff, he just needed to switch the layers off and on.
I recognized that he implemented fast movements towards that thing. sometimes there is no cut, sometimes there is, but it's hardly noticable.
if it comes to the program, I think it doesn't really matter, it sure was some 3D-animation program.

G

Invité
skrudge a dit:
plus some displacement mapping which tears the whole thing apart
can be done in maya, cinema 4d or zbrush

Which one would you recommend for a newcomer ?

G

Invité
C4D is nice, really intuitive, but it can be toyish.
If you really wanna go hardcore try 3D Studio Max