Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

2 Questions about helping the site

GOD

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
I know that the site costs a lot of money at the moment because of maintenance , server fees and repairs because of the software problems wich comes mainly from the site owners pockets and wanted to ask if i click on the advertisments does it help bring a little revenue ?

I allso wanted to ask if if there are any GOOD software / programming experts amongst the members if they could form a team with the site expert Mystic and help him / lighten the burdon on his back ?

JustinNed

Inscrit
12 Oct 2007
I was with you until "GOOD software / programming experts". I don't think very many people would mind clicking an ad every now and than.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
I mean that if Mystic had a team of GOOD people behind / under him he could direct them to tasks and organise a site rescue plan . He has done VERY much good work and i am sure that any help would be of use to him . He has his own life to live and we cant expect him to work for us 26 hours a day . By GOOD people i mean no "experts" that only know how to turn their computers on . He needs people that can understand what he is saying with out him having to baby sit or spoon feed them .

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
For what it's worth... There was/is another big international psychonautforum that was coping with the same problems. a non standardized forum which worked like crap. They wanted to move to a new forum but writing the conversion code to transfer the old forum messages to the new one, was just too much effort.

Long story short. the way they solved it was by introducing a new forum with all pristine new empty categories and messgebords with an extra categori: archives. This archives link, links back to the old forum/database and is read only.

It would be an inconvenience at the start because running topics are archived so people who want to continue on those, would have to start a new one in the new forum while providing a link in the opening post to the old archived topic. Big advantage is that it doesn't matter at all which software the new forum runs since there is no conversion done.

I would like to help but I don't have any time the coming six month so I would be worthless.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
HeartCore a dit:
It would be an inconvenience at the start because running topics are archived so people who want to continue on those, would have to start a new one in the new forum while providing a link in the opening post to the old archived topic.
That also happened to the Monster Magnet forum when they switched to Yuku. It was a little inconvenient, but soon forgotten. Not sure if it's a good idea for this forum, but it's worth our consideration.

JustinNed

Inscrit
12 Oct 2007
I think many important pieces in the Synthetics section would get lost, if this seems to be the only option I would suggest finding the must have threads of each section and stickying a link in new forum thread.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
It has been sugested in PMs that an effort be made to document all the information in the science threads and make a computer program / archive containing it and links .The talks are still going on . If and when any desicions are made everyone will be informed .

What are your opinions ?

JustinNed

Inscrit
12 Oct 2007
IMO there should be several read only archives/other forms of our Synthetics section. ;)

There are incredible threads in there. :D

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
Wow, i could wait to reply ;) Thanx god ;)

GOD a dit:
I know that the site costs a lot of money at the moment because of maintenance , server fees and repairs because of the software problems wich comes mainly from the site owners pockets and wanted to ask if i click on the advertisments does it help bring a little revenue ?

If the site owner has a problem with it, i think i do have some solutions for him. But that's something i am going to discuss with him myself, i am working on a demo psychonaut demo forum without design. To show him how i would like to take psychonaut.com to a higher level. I mean, that's what we all would like to see. Do we?

GOD a dit:
I allso wanted to ask if if there are any GOOD software / programming experts amongst the members if they could form a team with the site expert Mystic and help him / lighten the burdon on his back ?

At least i would like to hear from people who have some experience with programming/desgin's etc, how they would upgrade the forum. I can use such advice or suggestion. Really every input people can come up with, i wil pay attention and listening to it and even discuss about it. I see it as my goal, to upgrade psychonaut in such a way, that everyone has to like it.... So yeah, i could use all the help there is on this planet ;)

Heartcore a dit:
BerichtGeplaatst: Do Jan 29, 2009 20:10 Onderwerp:
For what it's worth... There was/is another big international psychonautforum that was coping with the same problems. a non standardized forum which worked like crap. They wanted to move to a new forum but writing the conversion code to transfer the old forum messages to the new one, was just too much effort.

I did think about everything you said in your reply, but i do think i have found a solution. It's not the solution i would love to work with, since normally i would choose completely other software or write some of the things i need, just by myself.

Psychonaut.com has this Joomla(which i don't like, but is secure.) with phpbb(old and not secure.) which is intergrated with a bridge, but that's not something i have to explain to you ;) Anyway, the bridge that's used to intergrate phpbb into joomla is just to old and buggy. But now i have found a new bridge that can be used with joomla and phpbb and even some other populair scripts, it's named jfusion. I am still testing it. I can still not say that i like it, but i can live with it, and the site could be easily improved. Also the understood that the site owner, appreciate joomla more. Mainly because he scared that other system would make things more complex.

But since i think the design is important as well as all the information that is on this forum, i will do anything to improve it. And try to compromise as much as possible, so we can be sure that everyone is happy ;)

Caduceusmercurius a dit:
That also happened to the Monster Magnet forum when they switched to Yuku. It was a little inconvenient, but soon forgotten. Not sure if it's a good idea for this forum, but it's worth our consideration.

It would be the last thing that we could do when everything false, which i don't think it will happen ;) Even if it means that i have to work hours to get it done. Then i will work those hours, at least i do have the time for it and can make myself useful ;)

Justinned a dit:
I think many important pieces in the Synthetics section would get lost, if this seems to be the only option I would suggest finding the must have threads of each section and stickying a link in new forum thread.

Well god already mentioned it ;) But i had the idea to program something to improve the synthetic section immensely ;) Yet it is still a idea, and i just hitted myself against my head, because i did send some PM with the idea, and now i see i forgot one of the most important persons, the moderator ;)

I am sorry, and you will receive a PM right away ;)

Greets,
Mysticwarrior.... :)

JustinNed

Inscrit
12 Oct 2007
I'll reply to the PM tomorrow mystic. By the way about... 7 years ago I learned HTML/BBCode about 3 years ago I learned a bit of C+, I've forgotten the majority of how to code but I still understand the basics of it so feel free to put me to work in whatever way you can. :p

Anyways, bed time, night all.